Any reason not to use dishwasher for sanitizing small kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwsenoj

Reaction score
Okay, the title basically says it. Should I be okay to wash and sanitize my 2.5 gallon kegs in the dishwasher? My lovely wife turned off the power to my shop thereby getting a little bit of mold growth on my kegs and in my chest freezer.

You could remove the posts, tubes, and lid, then wash the kegs in the dishwasher and dry with heat. I would still sanitize with star san or some other equivalent just to be sure.

Do not do it that way. The wash in the DW will not provide any degree of cleaning or sanitizing inside the keg.

Just saying.

P-J

Sorry I probably should've been more specific, I mostly trying to get the mold off of the outside of the keg. I am not trying to sanitize the inside. I can do that with star San. I just don't have a great place in our small kitchen to spray off the exterior.

Sorry I probably should've been more specific, I mostly trying to get the mold off of the outside of the keg. I am not trying to sanitize the inside. I can do that with star San. I just don't have a great place in our small kitchen to spray off the exterior.
Your topic title: Any reason not to use dishwasher for sanitizing small kegs? said a different thing. Sorry but I was addressing that.

Sorry for intruding. I'm done... And - Wishing you success in your adventures.

Back