Zymatic basics for new owner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
watched the video, see how the unit works for most part. cant join the myface group yet so have a few questions-

1- if i take an old liquid diptube and run it down the gas post can i avoid the foaming in the keg? seems like you'd be aerating the hell out of your wort if it drops from the gas in tube.....

2- keg lube on the step filters? not sure exactly where to lube. the rubber parts, or something else?

3- whats the deal with the spoon or keg lid oring going on top of the step filter? is that for the main grain compartment or the 4 little boxes? or both?

4--advanced editor- got a random peice of advice to add wait/drain periods, but didnt understand it. in between each phase? only before/after mash? boil?

5- how do you set up a brew with whirlpool/flameout hops only? end boil, start whirlpool and then adjunct 1/2/3/4 ?

6- better to put the FO/WP hops in a sack in the keg or in the step filter?

7- the HBT'er who did NOT invent the IPL says he gets good efficiency with 30@148 and 30@156. is there a consensus on getting better efficiency than the standard program, but not taking as long as the "high efficiency" program? or just trial and error?

lastly- im trying to rig up some copper into a keg-sized IC coil that like jaded thing denny conn keeps shilling. so would i just add the chilling time to my whirlpool program time? or run a whirlpool, and then run a "chilling" program? does it make a difference?

thanks all

watched the video, see how the unit works for most part. cant join the myface group yet so have a few questions-

1- if i take an old liquid diptube and run it down the gas post can i avoid the foaming in the keg? seems like you'd be aerating the hell out of your wort if it drops from the gas in tube.....

2- keg lube on the step filters? not sure exactly where to lube. the rubber parts, or something else?

3- whats the deal with the spoon or keg lid oring going on top of the step filter? is that for the main grain compartment or the 4 little boxes? or both?

4--advanced editor- got a random peice of advice to add wait/drain periods, but didnt understand it. in between each phase? only before/after mash? boil?

5- how do you set up a brew with whirlpool/flameout hops only? end boil, start whirlpool and then adjunct 1/2/3/4 ?

6- better to put the FO/WP hops in a sack in the keg or in the step filter?

7- the HBT'er who did NOT invent the IPL says he gets good efficiency with 30@148 and 30@156. is there a consensus on getting better efficiency than the standard program, but not taking as long as the "high efficiency" program? or just trial and error?

lastly- im trying to rig up some copper into a keg-sized IC coil that like jaded thing denny conn keeps shilling. so would i just add the chilling time to my whirlpool program time? or run a whirlpool, and then run a "chilling" program? does it make a difference?
thanks all

Had my Zymatic since June of 2016, I'll try to answer.

1 - Never had a foaming issue that required anything other than anti foaming agent in the cup on top of the keg.
2 - Keg lube the rubber plugs between the grain bin and the hop compartment, so you don't get leaks.
3 - Sometimes, depending upon how much grain you are using, the grain bed will lift the upper screen. You can prevent this by placing a couple of spoons or a keg O-ring on the top screen above the grains. Not required for the hop cages, although, after a while they might pop open, so you can put some food grade rubber bands around them to keep them closed.
4 - Only need to add those steps if you have a large jump in temperature >50 degrees. Otherwise you'll get the Fatal Error #1 which is a differential temperature error.
5 - There is a procedure on the Picobrew forums about that, let me know if you still need that?
6 - I just add my FO hops right to the keg.
7 - I always use the HE Mash Schedule so can't really provide any insight there.
lastly - That's probably your choice and requires some trial and error.

Back