Zombies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you cite examples?
[\QUOTE]

I've already posted it once:

http://www.talesofworldwarz.com/stories/

Go read World War Z too, if you haven't already. That is a good book, though it's been some time since I've read it.

I disagree. I want zombies, not love stories.
[\QUOTE]
In that case what does it matter how good any zombie movie is.. as long as it has zombies, right? Go watch zombie strippers, and don't worry about other's opinions of it. ;)

You are still under the impression that 28 days/weeks later has zombies... so... :rolleyes: he he he :D

Zombies are easy; smash the brain.

How are you going to defend your holdup and supplies from the group of people that are starving and homeless?

In the event of WWZ, think about trying to hole up and defend your local wal-mart... guarantee zombies won't be your biggest threat.

In any apocalypse, good people will fall at the hands of bad people. The ones that are willing to kill other people (LIVING people) will survive. That is scarier than any zombie.

Read "The Road." This is what I believe to be an accurate glimpse of what it would be like. People harvesting people for food, including raping women to get them pregnant and making a meal out of the child. Add zombies to that? We're fooked!

Unless you're one of the "bad" people. ;)

'The Road' was an amazing book. Terrifying and depressing, but such a good read. I found myself having a hard time putting it down. It really reignited my love of the post-apocalyptic world ... that isn't infested with zombies.

It's true, that while zombies would pose a serious threat, they are hardly the only thing one would have to worry about. Zombies are thoughtless creatures with just one urge, but survivors that have been changed through the process of adapting to the collapse of civilization around them, easily pose just as big, if not a bigger threat, As they still have the ability of cognitive thought, and in some cases the desire to survive at whatever costs.

It's a complete loss of humanity, zombies are no longer human. And it's possible to argue over time, that under the pressure of this kind of threat, humans will lose any connection to the things that make us human. It becomes completely survival of the fittest, there would be no place for compassion for most people.

Guy... you haven't even SEEN zombie strippers, from what you've said. lol.. there is no love in that movie and its not an apocalypse movie..

Watch it.

I never mentioned love at all.. FWIW.

No, I did. That was my complaint that you were refuting. As for other opinions, and whether or not a movie is good, huh?

I have a feeling you are trying to debate something, but what that something is is not clear.

I have to agree with TxBrew that romance has no place in a struggle for survival. I'm sure people would 'hook up' under those circumstances but I'm not interested in seeing it.

I've got something for you guys...

Fast zombies Vs. Slow zombies.

I prefer slow but I think a case can be made for the fast ones (Dawn of the Dead (2004) amazing!) What do you guys think?

They both have their merits. Honestly just for sake of survival I'd rather have slow and stupid.

Tx,

You have that one down! You can keep the sprinters. Has anyone sat down and planned an escape route to areas with a lower population density?

Well I finally had the time to sit down and watch TWD. Honestly it was ok for me. A bit silly in parts (horse), but overall I thought that the effects and sets were great. Why the hell didn't he try a little harder to get a vehicle moving? Gas? Something other than a walking zombie snack. Also when he first sets off on the horse as he is going over the hill yelling whoooaaa, all the guns in the bag on his back are getting ready to fall out. I bet over the hill they had to repack his bag. :)

I loved the part where he gets in the tank and the kid calls him an idiot over the radio. That was funny.

I for one am just happy that there is a show like this being produced for network tv. And I am hopeful that it only gets better from here.

Slow zombies is where it's at if you are fighting for survival. Fast ones could just ruin anyone's day.

I also agree somewhat to liking the story of the people and survival, I don't know about a love story mixed in, but to each their own. What I have found though is that I like these types of stories in a book, not particularly in a movie. If I am watching a zombie flick/tv show. I want to see some good old fashion zombie bashin.

haven't seen zombie strippers...yet. :)

I have to agree with TxBrew that romance has no place in a struggle for survival. I'm sure people would 'hook up' under those circumstances but I'm not interested in seeing it.

I've got something for you guys...

Fast zombies Vs. Slow zombies.

I prefer slow but I think a case can be made for the fast ones (Dawn of the Dead (2004) amazing!) What do you guys think?

I'm somewhat of a purist, i have a strong dislike for fast 'zombies', as i don't feel that they should be considered zombies. In my mind, something that is dead and re-animated should not be able to out run me. I am aware of the argument that zombies aren't realistic, so why should realistic physics apply to them. Well, in my mind, i am completely aware that a zombie scenario is truly unlikely, however, when that scenario arises or is depicted, i would prefer that it has much realism is put in place as possible ... i don't see that at all when considering fast zombies.

The only way i see fast 'zombies' having any shred of possibility, is if it is caused by some sort of virus/infection ... that doesn't actually kill the person, they are alive, but mutated ... think 28 days later, but in that case ... they should be able to be put down by means other than just a headshot, as they are still living, breathing, just infected with 'something'. So they, still, are not zombies.

Now, if i had a horde of undead sprinters coming at me, i wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet in my head, as you literally have next to time to do anything. With a horde of shamblers bearing down on you, you atleast have some time to formulate a plan, escape, something ... I think slow zombies effect stress levels much more, whereas the sprinters are just flat out terrifying, and give you next to no hope for survival.

Barnzy I am outside philly, where is the rally point when the hordes descend? ;)

I've talked about hitting the bike paths right to Valley Forge, then either heading north or south from there.:cool:

The fast zombies are like dracula with 4 fangs.

Drunk frat guys will smash cans on their foreheads at the BAD ASSEDNESS of it, but guys like us will say YAWN.

BIGGER FASTER MORE is only fun in car races.

(Bear with me) When Rob ZOMBIE(there's the on topic;)) re-made Halloween, I kinda expected a muscle-bound BAD ASSED Mikee running after people.

He kept it slowwwww and lowwwww which made it all the scarier.

Drunk frat guys will smash cans on their foreheads at the BAD ASSEDNESS of it, but guys like us will say YAWN.

+1

Thanks for the chuckle cheezydemon3!

Slow is the way to go. I agree.

Fast zombies = Action.
Slow zombies = Horror!

The 2004 re-imagining of Dawn of the Dead (it wasn't a remake) was thoroughly entertaining though.

(Off topic: It's brew day! Woo-Hoo!!!)

Tx,

You have that one down! You can keep the sprinters. Has anyone sat down and planned an escape route to areas with a lower population density?

No, I'm staying in. The only thing worse than being stuck where I'm familiar is the exact opposite.

I've talked about hitting the bike paths right to Valley Forge, then either heading north or south from there.:cool:

As long as the zombies aren't peddle enthusiast that seems like a good plan.

Zombie's on bikes are like heroes on horses, it only makes sense in the proper context.

If there wasn't time to make it into the mountains I'd head to Point Defiance Park here in Tacoma. It's on a peninsula and the waters have serious currents around it so you'd only have to defend from one direction. There's a lot of gnarly terrain that would impede zombie movement and I know the trails like the back of my hand. Also there's a restored frontier fort in the park that could withstand an onslaught from a zombie hoard. It's got gun towers, the whole 9.

Bring the space radiation! I'm ready!

.....hmmmm.

I think I'll head for a theme park and ride the tower of terror to the top!;)

Anyone seen Zombies of Mass Destruction?

Yeah, first I have to shoot out the controls ala zombieland. Really, not nearly as good a spot as yours....

Guess I'd really head to Red river Gorge.

Sparsely populated, mountain tops with quite a view, good as anyplace else I could think of.

No, I did. That was my complaint that you were refuting. As for other opinions, and whether or not a movie is good, huh?

I have a feeling you are trying to debate something, but what that something is is not clear.

What? Now I'm confused.. I was only responding to your post (the only one regarding a "love" theme that I read):

I disagree. I want zombies, not love stories.

I was saying that the best zombie stories were the ones with human conflicts as the main plot (i.e. TWD or world war Z) and zombies as more of a sub-plot (or SIDE plot, more accurately..they're still kind of a big deal).

I thought we were just talking about what kind of zombie/apocalypse stories were best?

I don't know whats going on. Pass the ammo. :drunk:

Well, there might be.. but the dialogue would be pretty boring:

"Ugghghghasdadskfhadf.."

"aaaaaauuuugghghggghhhhorroadhda...."

"oooOOOOOOoooooahahdaughagh.."

*gurgle*gurgle* "Ughghghghgghghaaa aaahhhhhaaaaughgggha..."

Has anyone read the graphic novels "The Walking Dead?"

I want to know if the guy and son that Rick met first (the ones who clocked him with a shovel) are in any of the story later on? Like what happens to them. I want to see more of them and how they are doing. It seems to me like they played an important part in helping Rick, then just parted ways.

I couldn't find the actor's names on IMDB to see how many episodes they are in...

..just curious.. hopefully they make it! :rockin:

I saw the ad for the upcoming TWD, where the cops girl who had been phucking his partner (guess she thought he was dead) and they reuinite, and stuff and.......

I found myself interested in what, at face value, seemed like some soap opera BS, but, which I realized was totally OK because of the presence of Zombies.;)

So.....

Zombie movies and shows are soap operas for guys.

They make it not ghey to watch people kissing and phucking each other's girls and stuff.;)

...........especially since you can bet that the interloper will be lunch at some point in some gruesome poetic justice!

Zombie movies and shows are soap operas for guys.

It's true isn't it? I have to admit, I've been dying to see what happens when Rick finds out his partner has been shtooping his wife. I would lose interest in that storyline pretty quick if the ever lingering threat of a zombie attack wasn't there though!:rockin:

p.s. That zombie chopping scene in the last episode was so beyond disgusting! I loved it!!!

p.p.s. If the day time soaps had zombies I'd faithfully watch them every day (while eating Bon Bons, naturally)!

I want to know if the guy and son that Rick met first (the ones who clocked him with a shovel) are in any of the story later on? Like what happens to them. I want to see more of them and how they are doing. It seems to me like they played an important part in helping Rick, then just parted ways.

I hope they come back too. That guy was great actor wasn't he? That scene where he's trying to get up the nerve to shoot his zombie wife was intense. I hope they're OK!!

It's true isn't it? I have to admit, I've been dying to see what happens when Rick finds out his partner has been shtooping his wife. I would lose interest in that storyline pretty quick if the ever lingering threat of a zombie attack wasn't there though!:rockin:

p.s. That zombie chopping scene in the last episode was so beyond disgusting! I loved it!!!

There is your proof, lol, and the chopping was credible and AWESOME.

I hope they come back too. That guy was great actor wasn't he? That scene where he's trying to get up the nerve to shoot his zombie wife was intense. I hope they're OK!!

Well acted, and he was RIGHT. Atlanta was a raging death hole!

After last night's episode I've decided that a crossbow would be my weapon of choice for zombie dispatch.

It's silent and there's reusable ammo and you could target practice all day without wasting ammo or attracting the horde. Scoring head shots on a moving target (that's trying to eat you) isn't easy so a lot of practice would be vital.

I would have to agree in stealth, attack situations. But when trying to defend against a horde, a crossbow wouldn't cut it. Reload time + limited ammo vs. multiple enemies = zombie feast.

If a horde was coming at me my weapon of choice would be a good pair of running shoes!

Maybe a crowbar to clear a path if necessary.

Has anyone read the graphic novels "The Walking Dead?"

I've read it...and it's a comic book. :)

Morgan and his son will be back if they follow the story like they have thus far.

Probably not this season though.

I did a few days ago and there was only one. I'll check it out when I get home.

Our "on demand" has a general category that just had 1 or 2, but another channel "prime time" had all 3 the day after the 3rd one came out, as well as some extra bonus stuff.

Back