Yuri's Brew Yurt (Hut)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about designing some kind of fancy exhaust manifold or enclosure for the mill station?

I got about 2/3's through building my brew stand today. It's nearly all welded up. I still have quite a bit of work left to do on the rig, but the end is in sight. There's SOMETHING fermenting in the brew hut, though! Hopefully this simple cider will be happily churning away sometime tomorrow.

fermentingatlast.jpg

Looking good, Yuri. All the money and hard work are finally coming together. You think you'll be living in that house for a long time?

Haha. Nope. It'll make a very nice mother-in-law shack for someone in a few years. Fortunately, it didn't cost THAT much, so there's a good chance I'll recoup the investment. I'm building the rig with portability/moving in mind.

I didn't think so. I'm an army brat myself so I know about the moving thing. Still, you honed some skills and probably had a bit of fun putting it together, right? I love building.

REALLY coming along now! To do tomorrow: a little more blending, some color, and some plumbing.

brewrigwelded.jpg

Cleanup should be pretty simple - everything will dump into a big garbage bag.

brewrigdumped.jpg

I hope to get great lautering efficiency with my center draining MLT.

mlttop.jpg

Most of the time the MLT has to sit on a flat surface, so a center drain is impossible (or impractical). I figured I'd take advantage of the fact that my MLT sort of "floats."

Kegs work very well for the MLT w/ a center drain because of the way the bottom of the keg is. Everything drains to the middle. Then you don't have anything on the false bottom to hit when you stir your mash.

I have a stainless pot/vessel, somewhere around 15 gallon, with a center output. I have plans to use it for a MLT one day, for the same reasons. It was a scrap yard find. Nice dump design! Is that a pair of Sportsters?

I'm using a Blichmann false bottom. It's the Blichmann 30 gallon version, which nearly fits the 20 gallon MegaPot from Northern Brewer (more pics later today).

Here's the last update for this weekend. I tacked a 1/2" tall stainless band around the bottom of my Blichmann false bottom (it's the one that's made for the 30 gallon BoilerMaker kettle). It fits snugly into the bottom of the 20 gallon MegaPot sold by Northern Brewer.

blichmannmod.jpg

Here's a shot of the "BoilerFaker:"

boilerfaker.jpg

Huh, neat idea about putting the band around it. It looks like the two where almost made to be together. I can't wait to see this whole thing together.

After seeing the BoilerMaker false bottoms for sale online, I knew I had to have one. I found the specs for them on Blichmann's website. I measured my kettle, took a slight gamble by placing the order, and it appears that it will work perfectly. It still wasn't cheap, but I saved nearly $200 by using the MegaPot instead of the BoilerMaker kettle.

The FB looks like it was stamped with the dies used to make 120v electrical outlet boxes, is that the case?
That's a fine looking mash tun. I love the ss plumbing.

Yuri, Is the stainless tube behind your mash tun some sort of clamp to hold the handle of the tun so that it doesn't accidentally tip? If so, could you include some pics of that contraption?

The FB looks like it was stamped with the dies used to make 120v electrical outlet boxes, is that the case?
I don't think so. They don't look like they'd easily knock out, and they stand off more than electrical knockouts usually do. I think it's a custom die that Blichmann uses.

Yuri, Is the stainless tube behind your mash tun some sort of clamp to hold the handle of the tun so that it doesn't accidentally tip? If so, could you include some pics of that contraption?
Actually, the stand is mild steel, not stainless. I'm going to powder coat it this week. But, yes, the vertical piece holds the mash tun handle. I'll post a pic later.

Yuri,

what exactly are those bushings/bearings that hold your tippy-dump rod? Where did you find them, and do they fit standard metal rod, or was the whole thing a package of some sort?

Looks great BTW!

The axle "rod" is a length of 1/2" schedule 40 stainless pipe. The welded sleeves on the axle (to keep the bushings from riding out of their pockets) are made from a piece of 3/4" schedule 40 steel pipe that I turned on the lathe to fit. I ordered the bronze bushings from www.mcmaster.com (7/8" ID flanged). The bushings just happened to fit snugly inside a short piece of 1-1/4" square tube (16 ga walls). There really aren't any "kit" components pictured.

Back