Yuengling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmonkey

Reaction score
Does anyone know ( Or have an educated guess ) what hop is used in Yuengling Lager, or in their Black and Tan ? I know that the B&T is a 60/40 mix of their Stout and Lord Chesterfield Ale, but I'll be damned if the hop flavor isn't the same in their Lager.

Tried their website, but I only get the basic beer co. crap about the " Freshest ingredients, finest barley, blah, blah, blah, etc. and so forth.." , nothing useful. My palate isn't cultured enough to be able to distinguish one hop from the other well enough to name it.

Please, you of the talented tastebuds, drink a bottle or six and tell me what I need to know !

It's actually 60% porter and 40% premium beer. They don't make a stout product. They use a combination of Cluster & Cascade, and a third hop that I would have to guess is Northern Brewers.

Naturally You'll have to brew two seperate batches one porter, and one beer, then combine when bottling. It will be worth the work.

No clue... but I just wanted to note that Yuengling gives one of the worst hang overs EVER. Only time I've puked the night after drinking... was from drinking Yueng lager

FrewBrew said:
No clue... but I just wanted to note that Yuengling gives one of the worst hang overs EVER. Only time I've puked the night after drinking... was from drinking Yueng lager
i've never had that problem....and, having lived in philly & its suburbs for the past 8 years, i've drank a ton of yuengling lager....

sudsmonkey said:
Thanks guys . I was just trying to figure out that flowery hop . I'd like to try to recreate it in a darker ale.

flowery= Cascade. I think of it more as a citrus flavor, but that is entirely subjective. Good luck!

bittering is cluster and the flavor/aroma is cascade. The ratio is 63.7 % lager and 36.3 porter (per one of the Yuengling brewers in Tampa) and they use a propietary yeast from what I was told that is used in all their beers and they ferment around 58 to 62. If you are in PA near the brewery give them a call or when you are on the tour talk to one of the brewers, they will help you out and may even hook you up with some supplies.

...and for Frew and any others who dare, be careful about saying bad things about Yeungling's around Philly folks! When you go off mother's milk around here, you start on Yeungling's! :D

:mug:

Ok, so Yuengling is one of my most favorite beers and I've done some mad research (and trial and error). Here is my final recipe:
1 lb Rice hulls
6 lb Brewers Malt 6-row (Briess) (1.8 SRM)
2 lb Corn- Yellow, Flaked (Briess) (1.3 SRM)
1 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)
1 lb Munich Malt, German (Avangard) (9.5 SRM)
1 lb Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Cascade (5.50%)- Boil 60 min
0.50 oz Cluster (7.00%)- Boil 10 min
1 pkg German Bock Lager (WLP833) - I use some acquired yeast directly from the factory! If you want some, email me

Back