Yuengling- Who's tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just bored and curious who has tried Yuengling and what they thought about it. I've been drinking it for years and in my opinion its a decent beer, not the best but not the worst. Most of the time I find people like it but I have yet to find someone who says it's their favorite. I'm from PA about 2 hours from the brewery i went about 2 months ago and was a little unimpressed. Anyway i was curious what other people thought. :drunk:

I started drinking it about 10 years ago, it was readily available in New Jersey. It's an okay, not great lager. Honestly, I think it used to be better before they started distributing more widely.

Professor Frink said:
I started drinking it about 10 years ago, it was readily available in New Jersey. It's an okay, not great lager. Honestly, I think it used to be better before they started distributing more widely.

I agree. It used to be WAY better. Kinda watered down now in my opinion. Just sucks that i only get to have Yuengling when i come home to MD on leave (maybe once or twice a year). :(

for a commercial widely known beer its not bad. very malty I think for a commercial beer. will take it over most,,except sam adams at most bars

Yuengling makes several different styles. I'll assume this topic is about Traditional Lager. I am biased living in PA, but I do like the darker color and slightly more substantial taste that Lager has over most BMC products. They use corn as an adjunct rather than rice. It's a better football beer than BMC, but it's nothing special compared with real beer. Of course if there's a cheesesteak in front of you, suddenly Lager is the right thing to do. :cross:

Shouldn't this topic be in Commercial Beer Discussion?

Yuengling is my staple beer when it comes to my local bar since they try to keep the price of beer under $2.00 a bottle... On tap its only $1.00 per pint, so I can't argue there. Their Premium is not bad either which is a pilsner style, but not easily available here in Buffalo. My cousin lives in PA and brings it up every once in a while.

The lager is better than BMC. I think their Porter is pretty good. It's a little low on the hop aroma, but very smooth to drink. For the price I think Yuengling can't be beat.

I actually like the taste better than Sam Adams. In my humble opinion Sam Adams could benefit from aging their brews a bit more. There is a little bit of harshness in the aftertaste, which isn't present in Samuel Smith and other microbrews.

I'd rather drink Dundee's HOney Brown than break open a YuengLager.

And I drank Yueng exclusively for years before I found Guiness and quit drinking most lager styles in favor of a good ale.

My girlfriend is from PA and introduced me to Yuengling a few years ago while visiting family up there, we even took a tour of the brewery. I do like the lager, I think it's the best beer they make. I sampled a few others on the tour like the Black and Tan and wasn't that impressed. All in all, the lager isn't my favorite beer out there, but it's definitely not the worst. I'd put it right, smack dab in the middle.

Brett3rThanU said:
while visiting family up there, we even took a tour of the brewery.

I took a tour of the brewery too, which I thought was really cool. I like Yuengling, its no amazing beer, but I will choose it any day over a BMC. I do like their black and tan though...

I'm a Philly guy, and around here it is pretty much what we are weaned onto. For sitting and sipping, the lager is OK (but I'm not much of a lager drinker) and their Chesterfield Ale is very good. I've got those plus some Black and Tan around almost all the time. They are always in demand at parties, ball games and barbecues.

Comparing them to BMC around here would be risky! But I agree, there seems to be something different about their lager compared to a few years ago. I always wrote it off to my own evolving tastes.

They bought an old Pabst (iirc) brewery in Tampa so that Mr. Yuengling would have a good excuse to go to Florida in the winter. There have been something like five generations of Yuenglings and rather than pass the company from father to son, when the owner is ready to retire, he sells the business to the next generation owner. Next time around, it will be owned by a Ms. Yuengling since there are no sons in this generation.

SteveM said:
They bought an old Pabst (iirc) brewery in Tampa so that Mr. Yuengling would have a good excuse to go to Florida in the winter. There have been something like five generations of Yuenglings and rather than pass the company from father to son, when the owner is ready to retire, he sells the business to the next generation owner. Next time around, it will be owned by a Ms. Yuengling since there are no sons in this generation.

Strohs

http://www.yuengling.com/news/n_tampa.htm

on my first visit to NJ like 10+ years ago we drank Yeungling all the time and thought it was great - so much better than the BMC stuff we expected to be drinking. i don't know if it's really not as good these days or my tastes have evolved, or there's just so many more options around philly/south jersey now - i'm more likely to get a dogfish 60 min or a victory hopdevil or prima pils these days.

we still get a keg of Yeungling if we're having a big party, and fresh (?) in the keg it tastes great.

it's a "good for the price" beer. in dc at ~$7 a six pack you're hard pressed to find anything better than yuengling.

I like the stuff. I get a sort of pleasant "coming home" feeling when I have one (grew up in southcentral PA). It's not great beer, but it's decent beer, and I'll take a Yuengling over a lot of other choices.

JimiGibbs said:
I agree it doesn't seem as good now that it is widely distributed. Used to get it when I visited PA and like others I'll take it over most BMC.

I dunno..it's always been a step up from BMC but its never been anything all that special. There was a point where I recall thinking it became a little sweeter and a little more "corny" than I remember it being but I don't recall if that tied into any distribution points.

I don't know. Maybe I got a bad case but it tastes watery and oxidized. I'd take a Bud over this because at least the color is more indicative of the flavor. Against a SABL, Sam all the way.

Speaking of PBR and Yuengling - I was out at a bar one night that offered a 'blue collar black and tan' that was basically guiness and PBR. Once you get to the bottom and both are mixed, it turns a nice golden color and tastes almost directly like Yuengling lager.

I was almost convinced they were the largest importer of Guiness and make the lager by mixing it with PBR and selling it as their own 'Brew.'

If you can't get Yueng, try the blue collar black and tan and mix the 2 beers up good and you can say you've had a Yueng Lager.

Just a little tidbit...
Over the years, I've bought maybe 3 or 4 dozen half-barrels (used to get them for $43 each... picked up 2 every Friday after class!) and at least a couple pallets worth of Lager, both bottles and cans. In my personal opinion, the CANNED Lager tastes better than the bottles. It tastes more like the kegged Lager. Cases of cans run about $15+tax around here. Bottles are usually about $2 more, and just don't taste as good to me. But either way, Lager is a good value.

A lot of hipster bars offer a shot of Jack and a can of PBR as a special. I haven't really seen any shots offered w/ Lager, though, which seems kind of strange considering Lager's reputation around here as "almost a premium beer".

I've bought my fair share of 1/4 and 1/2 barrel kegs. The cans are definitely better then the bottles. The bottles always taste like they are oxidized. I grew up and went to school in central PA. We usually drank Key Light, but when we splurged it was on Yuengling.

It's okay, but not great. Apparently they're America's oldest brewery -- I guess this proves definitively that experience is overrated.

I think it's pretty good. You cant really find it here in OHio at all but I've had it twice, first in Tampa Fla. (I guess they have a new-er brewery there) and once in Pittsburgh. Both times it was BMC, Boston Lager (not a big fan) or YL. Of course I chose the YL.

THey are pretty malty so the next morning leaves a weird taste in your mouth. Then again I was traveling for work and spent my per diem at the bar, meaning I had quite a few.

I would take it over most typical beers, but then again we dont get much here in Ohio!

I live about an hor from the brewery so needless to say its everywhere around here. Its mediocre at best. I have more then one skunked case from them. Ill drink it if theres nothing else. With that said it is better then most of the usual suspects, i.e. Coors, Budweiser etc.

Fresh Yuengling is still good to me when I want a lighter body beer and am eating a heavy meal. I have definitely had bad bottles tho.

I used to love the stuff before I started to become more of a "beer nerd," now I find it barely adequate at best. I have about a case and a half in my basement, because one of my friend's parents had gotten a lot for a super cheap price at a liquor store near them, and he gave me some of their stash. It's been down there for a while now...I've mostly been pawning it off on my friends when they come over (I always have some cold in my fridge.)

Unfortunately, the last case I opened is pretty skunked, which must have happened before I got it because I've kept it in a dark basement. That's probably why my opinion of it dropped, because I don't remember every Yuengling I've had tasting like that. Icky.

Back in the early 90's when at college in Philly, I loved the stuff (for the price). Cases ran about a buck cheaper than the BMC crap (about $12/case then). As a noob homebrewer, the returnables came in a nice sturdy box, and the labels floated off nice and easy. Pitchers at the bars were cheap too. The lager wasn't so hot, but I could drink the porter anyday. Nice and light for a porter (BJCP lists it as good example of brown porter), but actually had flavor. Lord Chesterfield was OK too, but porter was my fav.

It was by no means great beer, but for a poor college student, beat the crap out of anything at the same price point. Sort of like Henry Wienhards out here on the west coast. Not great, but the best beer you can get for $8/12-pk now. Again, much better than BMC for about the same price.

Back