Yuengling: My Savior

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
Just wanted to show some love to Yuengling, the beer that I can convince my BMC friends to buy when we jointly buy beer for a party (its the same price as BMC), but that still has some flavor. Has anybody else been "saved" by Yuengling?

Yuengling is my go to when I run out of homebrew. On a tight budget since I was main income and now I'm unemployed. Commercial beer is so expensive when you add it to the fact that you are simultaneously buying ingredients for batches.

its no Pliny the Elder, but I'm just saying its a superior alternative to the same priced BMC beers. I did sense a little bit of corn adjunct, but not nearly as much as BMC...

I'm PA born and raised, but I just can't get on the bandwagon with yuengling. I think its darker look influences many peoples tastebuds. You taste with your eyes first, afterall.

I'm PA born and raised, but I just can't get on the bandwagon with yuengling. I think its darker look influences many peoples tastebuds. You taste with your eyes first, afterall.

Agree. I don't see much difference between Yuengling and the other american light lagers.

Yuengling is good! It has a REALLY big following with Firefighters (at least, here in New England) because of this huge training facility in PA, my uncle usually brings cases back from NY and PA when he goes on official FD business, and his guys bribe him with cases to get time off.

Sean From NH

Yuengling Lager? They do make more than one style of beer after all...

I like the Lord Chesterfield Ale most out of Yuengling beer...

Yuengling was actually my first beer. I went to college in PA and that's what was available. Once out of school and the east coast my pallet quickly changed and I'm not much of a fan anymore.

I'm kind of partial to the Black and Tan when shopping on a budget.

I am a bit skeptical when it comes to Yuengling though. A tour of their Florida brewery showed me (when I wandered off a bit) 50 gallon drums of caramel coloring. Huh???

Someone once told me that Yuengling lager uses something like 40% corn syrup. Errr...could that really be true? Could that be why the caramel coloring is needed?

I am a bit skeptical when it comes to Yuengling though. A tour of their Florida brewery showed me (when I wandered off a bit) 50 gallon drums of caramel coloring. Huh???

Sweet jeebus, are you serious? I wasn't going to accuse them of this because I thought them a reputable company but this is exactly what my taste buds suspected.

Sweet jeebus, are you serious? I wasn't going to accuse them of this because I thought them a reputable company but this is exactly what my taste buds suspected.

Yup, there were stacks of 'em. I was curious so I wandered over to see what the little label said on each barrel. I wish I would have had a camera so I could have taken a picture of them.

I'd still drink this stuff over most BMC though because there is slightly more flavor. The tour was fun and the workers we met were friendly. I plan to take another tour whenever I can make it back to that side of the state. That brewery actually used to be a Schlitz brewery back in the day.

I'm a fan of Yuengling lager. I have a beer buddy who is working on a clone recipe, hopefully he will get it dialed in soon so I can brew it up. It will be a great brew to have on tap when it's 100*F in the shade.

Yeungling is my go to beer when I am out and they don't have DFH 60 (since that is usually about all I can hope for around here). During the summer or for tailgateing i'll but some too.

I am not a fan. I recently tried one, and was severely underwhelmed. It may have a bit more flavor than Bud, but it wasn't a good flavor (IMO).

To each his own. That is why, thankfully, there are so many beers out there.

I say this as I am finishing a Port Brewing Old Viscosity stout. Funny...

Back