Your typical pre boil volume (all grain)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
What is your typical pre boil volume when shooting for 5.5 gallon post boil all grain batchs for 60 min boils.

Last edited:
7.5-8 for me - but it depends on your particular boil rate, and how long you want to boil for (60-90 minutes usually).

7-7 1/2 for me. Depends on your system, length of boil, size of grain bill, personal preference (do you dump all the trub in the fermenter or leave it in the BK, for example). I don't think there's a magic number that works for everyone.

I use the Grainfather and I'm usually targeting around 6 gallons in bottles. This means I shoor for around 7.5 gallons post boil.

7.75 G up to 8.25 G depending on if I am doing a 60 or 90 min boil. This would be full volume strike water and not doing any kind of sparge to add water back.

As @grampamark says, there is no one size fits all due to variances in systems and processes. All that considered, 8G is typically a good starting point.

Last edited:
I usually pre boil with 6.75 gallons to get to 5.5 gallons post boil into my fermenter.

Altitude/Temp/Humidity/Boil vigor are all variables; some being easier to monitor than others, and thus control.

This takes some honing in as others have mentioned.

Last edited:
I brewed yesterday and I ended up over boiling by a gallon. Haha. I need to do a 15 min boil test to dial it in.

I typically do 90 minute boils, and aim for around 8 gallons preboil. That gets me about 6 gallons to get in the fermenter, with trub loss I almost always have enough for a full 5g keg. YMMV, everyone's system is a bit different.

I typically do 90 minute boils, and aim for around 8 gallons preboil. That gets me about 6 gallons to get in the fermenter, with trub loss I almost always have enough for a full 5g keg. YMMV, everyone's system is a bit different.

Your numbers match mine precisely, @seatazz.

I usually pre boil with 6.75 gallons to get to 5.5 gallons post boil into my fermenter.
Same here. It measures as almost 6.9 gallons at mash temp due to thermal expansion.

@urg8rb8
Figure out your boil-off rate using a yard stick (or similar) with markings at each gallon. Account for thermal expansion.

Same here. It measures as almost 6.9 gallons at mash temp due to thermal expansion.

@urg8rb8
Figure out your boil-off rate using a yard stick (or similar) with markings at each gallon. Account for thermal expansion.
I'll do that with plain water to test with. I'll boil for 15 mins, take the difference of what's still in the pot, then multiply by four. Probably won't be exact but will be close.

I'll also need to mark the propane tank's flow rate knob position so that I also keep that consistent.

I generally target about 7 gallon into the pot. A bit more on colder days, a bit less on hot ones. I just got an induction burner and new kettle so I have to check the rates on that before I brew on it. I'll probably do a 30 minute boil to get a better idea of what it does, and what settings I need, plus passivate my kettle.

I use a 15gal kettle for 5gal batches so there is a lot of surface area (but zero boil overs). I go from 7.5 to 8gal starting volume in the BK.

Back