Your Thoughts/Prayers/Voodoo Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hymn that AZ IPA mentioned above is an English hymn by Ralph Vaughn Williams. All eight stanzas are packed full of strength, comfort and endurance for those of us who linger here while our loved ones are celebrating with the angels, archangels and the whole company of heaven. A favorite snippet of that hymn for me right now is, "We feebly struggle; they in glory shine." My loving, strong, gutsy wife of 46 years is singing "Alleluia" with that very same whole company of heaven.

I did manage to get a few hours of sleep last night. Today will present challenges which, I am sure, will produce tears. But those tears will pass, and I will always, ALWAYS be Marie's husband, and she will always, ALWAYS be my motorcycle riding wife!

I love you, Babe, and I miss you.

glenn514:(

For some reason, I had a fitful night last night myself. Only slept a couple hours...feelin' like Freddy Flame-out. Funny how things work out?...

You and your family are in my prayers
Deepest condolences on your loss. I hope the presence of your friends and family can be a comfort to you.

Glenn, I am so, so sorry to hear this. Please know that I and everyone here are with you as you go through this. May strength and peace be with you and your family.

Oh no. I am so sorry to read this. It must truly be hard to have this happen this close to the holidays and I can not imagine how hard this is for you. For what it is worth, my condolences to you and your family and I hope that your family is able to be close this holiday season.

Glenn,

Please accept my deepest condolences.

Thank you for sharing Marie's trials, tribulations, and her ultimate freedom to be home with her savior.

I want to share the Crossing Over poem that always seems to capture my thoughts when I have heard news of someone "crossing over":

"Oh, please don't feel guilty
It was just my time to go.
I see you are still feeling sad,
And the tears just seem to flow.

We all come to earth for our lifetime,
And for some it's not many years
I don't want you to keep crying
You are shedding so many tears.

I haven't really left you
Even though it may seem so.
I have just gone to my heavenly home,
And I'm closer to you than you know.

Just believe that when you say
my name, I'm standing next to you,
I know you long to see me,
But there's nothing I can do.

But I'll still send you messages
And hope you understand,
That when your time comes to
“cross over,” I'll be there to take your hand."

Take care!

Sorry for your loss, Glenn. I know it may not be much comfort at this time, but you should be proud knowing that you did everything you could to make her final days on this Earth as comfortable as possible. Prayers for your family this Christmas.

Very sorry for your loss Glenn. Many prayers and condolences to you and your family.

While it's a sad time for you and those around you, it's hard not to rejoice what your wife must be experiencing now. No sadness there!

Ken

Condolences. Prayers from our family to yours. So sorry for your loss. You've been strong to share this with us. We'll never forget it.

Glenn, I am so very sad to hear of Marie's passing. I'm sorry for your loss, and so sorry I didn't get the chance to meet her when you were here for your daughter's wedding. She will be missed by you and your family so very much.

I'm thinking of you and sending my love and warmest thoughts your way and pray for strength for you.

Glenn, my condolences to you and your family during this difficult time. You showed strength that I only wish I can have if I am ever faced with the same challenge. Despite me not knowing you and Marie, I feel I have gotten to know you somewhat through your posts and was saddened to hear the news of her passing. May God bless you and your family. Try and enjoy this holiday as much as you can.

Glenn, thinking of you and your family today as you all process Marie's passing. Wishing you the joys of the season despite the sorrows, and a peaceful day of remembering the happy times you all shared with Marie.

Brother Glenn,

Thank you in the midst of Marie's and your trial for sharing and strengthening those of us who may have needed it. When my wife died 2 days after Christmas 18 years ago, I went into her hospital room and the Lord spoke to my heart as Jesus spoke to Mary in the garden, saying, "Why do look for the living among the dead?" Though my wife had 'died', she was not dead; she was/is alive forever, just having preceded me in that passing through the final door to eternity. Whereas, you will see Marie again, your time for now on earth will be fraught with sorrow and questions and wondering. But, as you know, it is all in the Lord's hands --- it's where we were before we came into this world and where we will be again.

God bless you, my brother --- and your family. My prayers for sustenance and strength continue...

A Service of Remembrance and Celebration for Marie will be held on Saturday, 9 January 2016 beginning at 100pm at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 932 McHenry Avenue, Crystal Lake, Illinois. Rev. Larry Rubeck, pastor of Prince of Peace, will lead us in worship and share the Word of God with us; Dr. John A. Behnke, now retired music professor at Concordia University Wisconsin, will be organist, leading us in sacred song. A time for visiting will immediately follow the service. Any and all are invited to attend and honor the life and ministry of Marie, a faithful servant of our Lord.

glenn514:)

Glenn,
I'm sorry for your loss. Listening to the stories you've shared with us over the previous months shows us that the world lost a wonderful woman. Thank you for sharing your love for Marie with the rest of us.

I'm sure she'll be waiting to take you home when it's your turn. Dyin's easy...it's livin' that's hard. Just keep tryin', we're all here for ya!

I want and need to take some time to offer my humble thanks to all my fellow brewers and brewerettes who have offered words of encouragement, support and comfort to me over the past five months. I was fortunate to have several support systems, in addition to my four daughters. And I began posting here, on Facebook and on my own email list, seeking prayers, support, words of comfort and encouragement, and so on. What I received was far more than I anticipated. I have received tender love and compassion from hundreds of people throughout the world, yourselves included. And those words and support have upheld me through this entire journey. I am forever thankful. The girls and I made it through Christmas and survived with only a few episodes of weeping. We know that our wife and mother had the very best Christmas imaginable. While I'd like to say more, a simple Thank You will have to do it. Thank you.

glenn514:mug:

You are quite welcome Glenn, but I personally believe it is we that have been blessed to have witnessed your heart manifested through your love and care of Marie. I can only pray that should this occur in my life, I can be half the man you have been, or if roles are reversed, I have someone like you taking care of me.
I know the next few months will be difficult, but we are still here, and we will still listen and support you.
Take care, friend.

@Glenn514 - it's amazing, isn't it, that a community of people whom we have never met will pull together and offer comfort, prayers, and encouragement when we need it! I experienced the same on another board where I post frequently when dealing with my mother's needs and then her passing.

It humbles you to realize you really are part of something MUCH larger than yourself and that there ARE caring, loving people out there. It's easy these days to not see the good in people because we're bombarded with the bad so much.

Wishing you peace and joy in 2016 and hope you'll continue to update us with how you and your family are doing. I've so enjoyed your posts!

Hi Glen, I just saw that you had bittersweet news to share... Bitter is your loss, and sweet is knowing Marie's struggle is over and she feels no pain. I know there isn't much I can say to help you feel better now, but do hold on to your good memories, and always know that you did all you could. The grief will run its course and you'll feel the way you feel, and that too shall past. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Christmas 2009...one of the few Christmas celebrations with all six of us together.

glenn514:mug:

Christmas2009.jpg

The holidays have kept me busy and I just came back to HBT to hear the news of your wife's passing. It is odd, I don't really know you, but I have followed your story from almost the beginning. Your news has me reflecting on the death of my grandfather on Christmas day, so many years ago, and my great grandmother's passing during the holiday season only a few years later and I can't even imagine the difficulty of dealing with the death of a spouse during this time of year. Then, I look at the picture of you and your family and think back on the highs and lows you've experienced while managing to soldier through the best you could and I am filled with hope for the world. It is the little things going on all around us, that we don't often notice, that make this a beautiful place. Thank you for sharing your story and best wishes to you and your family in the new year!

I am so sorry to hear this news. My prayers go out to you and your family. RIP

Last week, I had difficulty attempting to place Marie's obituary into our local daily newspaper. I finally succeeded this morning. Obviously, many employees were on vacation between the holidays, and I cannot place any blame on them. I would imagine that funeral homes with standing obit accounts had no difficulty, but I sure did. Anyway, here follows her obit:

Marie A Mahnke

Born on June 29, 1945 in Goodrich, MI
Died on December 23, 2015 in Woodstock, IL

Marie Annette [Bilyea] Mahnke was born to Gordon and Eleanor [Dunkel] Bilyea as the oldest of three children. She grew up in Grand Blanc, Michigan, and moved to Mason, Michigan for her senior year in high school. She graduated from Mason High School in 1963.

Her first two years in college were done at Concordia College [now Concordia University], Ann Arbor, Michigan. She completed her bachelor’s degree in education at Concordia Teachers’ College, River Forest, Illinois [now Concordia University Chicago].

She married her husband of 46 years, Glenn R. Mahnke, on August 9, 1969. Over the years of their marriage, they lived in Milwaukee, WI, Sussex, WI, Oconomowoc, WI, Plano, TX and finally Marengo, IL. Their marriage was blessed with four children [all daughters]: Joy [Nathan] Frieling of Waxahachie, TX, Liesl [James] Christle of Schaumburg, IL, Gretchen [Joseph] Vespo of Land O’ Lakes, WI and Amanda Mahnke of College Station, TX. They have also been blessed with three grandchildren, Boaz, Lydia and Abel Frieling.

Over the course of her professional career, Marie taught in a wide variety of Lutheran schools, working with students from pre-kindergarten through sophomores in college. She enjoyed most teaching middle elementary grades, and singing tenor in her husband’s church choir.

She is survived by her mother, her sister and brother, her husband, her four daughters and three sons-in-law, and three grandchildren. Her grandparents, her father and her father-in-law and mother-in-law preceded her in death.

A Service of Remembrance and Celebration for Marie will be held on Saturday, January 9, 2016, at 1:00 p.m. at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 932 McHenry Avenue, Crystal Lake, IL. The service will be led by Rev. Larry Rubeck, pastor at Prince of Peace. A time for visiting will occur immediately following the service. Those who knew Marie are cordially invited to attend and honor the life and ministry of Marie, a faithful servant of our Lord.

In lieu of flowers, contributions to art education charities would be appreciated.

Cremation rites have been accorded by Millennium Cremation Society, Island Lake, IL.

Oldest daughter, her husband and my newest grandson arrived safely on Wednesday evening. They are staying with second-oldest daughter and her husband in Schaumburg, Illinois. We had an opportunity last night to spend some time together, and I got to hold #3 grandchild who was born on 22 October. Daughter #3 and her husband will arrive later today from Wisconsin's northwoods. Daughter #4...the Ph.D...will arrive this evening at O'Hare airport in Chicago. This will be the first time in a loooooong time that all the girls and husbands are together. We'll miss two grandchildren who were left in the care of husband's parents, and we love them lots. The Service of Remembrance and Celebration for my dear wife is tomorrow at 100pm.

Back