Your opinions on first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe92385

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time lurker, finally decided to sign up to post.

Anyway, my friends and I jumped straight into all grain, and made our first batch yesterday. All in all, it was awesome and I can see getting addicted to this. We were making St. Faud's Irish Red (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/st-fuads-irish-red-22821/). The only change is that we used 1lb Crystal 15L because they didn't have the 30L (on the advice of the LHBS). Our pre-boil gravity was 1.054ish (wasn't exactly 60*), so we were surprisingly efficient for first timers. Had a small boil-over when we turned our backs, but not much. Post boil, we had a bit over 5 gallons at 1.072! Clearly we boiled off more than expected. We also found out the hard way that an auto-siphon isn't meant for hot wort, ended up going with the ice-bath method instead of our counterflow chiller. I managed to step on the center cap thing from the air lock, but improvised something with foil, replaced it today, and it seems to be going strong (we did make a starter).

We definitely learned a few things: 1) install a ball valve on the kettle, 2) don't turn your back on the kettle when it's first approaching boiling temperature, 3) know where on our stir spoon our target volume is, so we know if we're boiling off way too much, and of course 4) don't step on airlocks.

I suppose my question is, based on the St. Faud's recipe and the fact that we well overshot our OG, how do you brewing gurus think this might turn out? I know in the recipe thread somebody else who had similar numbers said it was pretty awful, but I'm not giving up hope... it's our first beer ever, so we will love it no matter what, haha.

That is a big high on the OG, but it should be a-ok. If you were super concerned you could add a half gallon of purified water to the carboy to get to the 5.5 the recipe calls for. This would level out your gravity. I wouldn't bother though I'm sure it's gonna be great.

Instead of trying to control your boil-off, let it do its thing. You want a full rolling boil for the entire time, so there's no real way to minimize boil-off. The more important thing to do is measure your pre and post boil volumes to figure out exactly how much your particular system boils off per hour of vigorous boil.

Mine does 1.5g/hr, and I do 6gal batches, so I end up with 7.5 preboil in the kettle. It took a few batches to figure out exactly how much i was going to lose to the boil. I do 6 gallon batches because I like to leave the trub behind in the kettle and avoid racking that into primary (approx 1/2 gal left behind) and I like to leave the yeast behind in the primary when I keg (approx 1/2gal) so I end up with 5 in the keg.

Hope this helps and congrats on the first brew. I have a pretty extensive article on my blog about mashing volumes if need more info on the subject. The link is in my sig.

Peace~!

Oh, great, MORE homebrewing stuff for me to read :D

I really can't wait to get the system dialed in... I think we may have to go buy another fermentor, haha.

I'm also curious as to what exactly we brewed - the gravity is too high to be an Irish red, but I can't find what else it might be. Not that it matters, of course... it's beer, after all :mug:

Back