your local LBS lb prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henrythe9th

Reaction score
What does your local LBS sell grain by the lb for??
mine = crystals 1.25lb
base 2 row $1.00lb
Marris otter $1.50lb
I think the highest priced is 2.00 lb for Cafra III

how about your areas

2-row: less than a $ in bulk
Speciality: 2.50-3.50$
Hops: ridiculous (some varieties run at 4$ an oz)

specialty grains - almost all are 1.90/lb
2 row I only buy in bulk - $33 for 50 lbs = $.66/lb
I also buy golden promise and vienna are $1/lb in bulk
Hops are like 3-4 dollars an ounce. Haven't bought from them in a few years.

2 Row - $2.50 a lbs
Hops - $4-$5 per oz.

Never buying anything there unless it is an emergency.

oh wow you guys have it great!

2 row 1.78
anything special = 2.00

but 50 lb bag of 2 row = 45 so?

hops = 3.75 oz

2 Row - $2.50 a lbs
Hops - $4-$5 per oz.

Never buying anything there unless it is an emergency.

are in in c-bus referencing winemakers? you have to be. i never get much there anymore due to cost. next time you're in, look at what she's charging for a quart of starsan - I think it was $34!!

are in in c-bus referencing winemakers? you have to be. i never get much there anymore due to cost. next time you're in, look at what she's charging for a quart of starsan - I think it was $34!!

That is where i was... I was feeling bad for ordering so much stuff online that I wanted to spend some cash locally. But, after seeing her prices I am over it.

Do you know if anyone does a central Ohio group buy?

I'd be interested in getting in on this, too. Even if there isn't something in place already, maybe we can work out something new, if we can find enough people to join in. Maybe we should start a thread in a few days if we don't find anything else?

If you can't tell, I'm a little tired of the super high prices for basic materials at a certain local homebrew shop, too.

In Los Angeles at Home brew beer wine and cheese shop:

1.25 for 2row
1.75 for everything else

2 per oz of hop pellets
4 for 2 oz of hop leaf (must by in 2 oz increments).

I have yet to order ingredients online. The store is well stocked and the staff is very friendly. You also get a 10% discount if you are a member of the local home-brew club.

1.09 2-row
1.29 Maris otter
1.49 specialty
3.00 for the bagged up stuff (smoke, aromatic, few others)

That is where i was... I was feeling bad for ordering so much stuff online that I wanted to spend some cash locally. But, after seeing her prices I am over it.

I got in on one about 2-3 years ago with some guys down in the Canal Winchester area. I'll try to find the contact info for you - it was set up through craigslist.

There are other places in CMH. They're not as bad, but online is still cheaper most times, but if you're looking to support local, gentiles is the one I use nowadays.

There are other places in CMH. They're not as bad, but online is still cheaper most times, but if you're looking to support local, gentiles is the one I use nowadays.

you're right - it kind of sucks it's so expensive at some local joints, but i feel fortunate to have them around when I need them. I believe Gentiles is $1.99/# grain, $3/oz hops and $7.95/vial of WLP. You can get reasonable priced bags there if you can find one someone didn't break open to take out 5 lbs from when the exact same thing is sitting on the shelf in the buckets. I don't WLP often as the vials @ Gentiles don't seem to move well and always seem to be close to the expiration date.

I was searching on here because of the same cost issue. Last week I bought grain, hops and liquid yeast for a 5lb batch of Irish red. After paying $42, I walked out of there bow legged because it was broken off in me. I knew the prices were a little more than ordering online. I figured I would give them business because liquid yeast costs more to ship from online and the guy is full of great information, but I am at the point of being done with it. Any ideas on the best place to order a 50 pound bag of grain?

Back