your addicted to homebrewing when......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you obsessively head out to the store to get supplies for a batch of beer that you won't be brewing til a month from now.

(Me, today after work!)

when you do buy a commercial beer you check to make sure that they are not twist offs. and if they are you put them back on the shelf.

look at the cap on the bottle. Twist offs usually have little arrows pointing to the right. You can also see if the crimp mark is parallel around the circumference or if it slopes up to the right. My fiancée thinks I'm nuts when I check the bottles of a beer I haven't purchased before.

...you are thrilled to have HBT mobile access so that you can check the site and post while on the sh!tter.

bingo...and then people start to wonder why you take so long in there...:D

Both of my fridges are packed with brew, and maybe a couple soy sauce/sweet n sour packets here and there. One fridge is a kegerator that is full of glasses in the freezer, the other fridge is all homebrew bottles, and commercial microbrews, with hops in the freezer :)

You consistently skip over your facebook app, because you'd much rather see what's going on in HBT land!

Have a room in the basement called "the Beer Room", even though production has moved to the garage that has been converted to a commercial kitchen.

The freezer is full of hops, scaled out and labeled, and the babysitter asks, with concern, about the green leafy baggies in there.

When talking about 'when I get a house' and your kitchen remodel plans (ASAP after moving in) include items such as a fermentation chamber, keezer for 6+ kegs, 6 burner stove (with at least one high BTU burner), at least a large double sink, and a very large double door fridge/freezer (to help store supplies)... Plus having the basement setup for long term aging... :D

you drop an airborne tablet into a glass of water and the resulting foam reminds you of krausen!!

Every thing you see can somehow be fashioned into something you can use for brewing.

When you walk through Home Depot and find that everything they carry can be put to use for brewing.

Every time your girlfriend comes over you make her come see the action going on in your fermenters.

when you and your wife are planning the house you want to someday build "She" suggests a 2000 sq ft cellar with several walk-in coolers and plenty of room to store "all your crap". even though she bought you a couple 6 gal better bottle fermenters and aeration kit for christmas. :p

You know a lot more about beer in general than any of your college comrades because you've made a hobby out of this since you were 18.

You are at the doctor going over lab re.sults, and note they measure things is Specific Gravity as well....Then you explain to your wife that you can measure the same thing..

When all your bookmarks/favorites are beer related and your recipe file is divided into folders by styles or Brew pub. You look up Barley wine recipes because you have an unused carboy siting around.

when you plan a brew day and tasting with friends on December 21st to celebrate Winter coming... when you plan a brew day and tasting with friends on March 21st to celebrate spring coming... when you plan an extra long brew day and tasting on June 21st to celebrate the beginning of summer with friends... When you find any excuse to find a brew day to brew the recipes you build every night after junior goes to bed ;)

You are at the doctor going over lab re.sults, and note they measure things is Specific Gravity as well....Then you explain to your wife that you can measure the same thing..

ha ha. i work in a asphalt lab. (dont tell but im at work now) when i first started they were saying they mesured the specific gravity of the asphalt cement, and my reply was "how can you read the hydrometer with black **** all over it?" none of them new what i was talking about. "whats a hydrometer?"

NochEineMassBitte said:
You schedule your vacation such that you'll be home in time to do a diacetyl rest.

I've called in to coordinate cold crashing while in Scotland

After you haven't brewed in a few weeks you find yourself 'youtubing' videos of other peoples active fermentations...

You obsessively recheck the shipping status of an order, in the hope that that "final" piece of homebrew equipment arrives tomorrow (as I am right now waiting for NG burners to come!!)

When you havent brewed in almost 5 months and you randomly decide that this means you must upgrade to 15 gallon batches.

When you buy a 20gallon kettle and new burner on a whim

When work is throwing out an old (but functional) 12 gallon, half jacketed, natural gas steam kettle and you take it even though your house doesnt have the gas pressure to operate such items.

when your roommate talks about buying a house and says I can convert the garage for all brewing purposes as long as we never run out of beer!!!

When you havent been on HBT in almost 3 months then post about everything because your just happy to be(edit: I actually typed "beer" 3 times in a row before I typed "be") back among beer friendly people.!!!

When you spend all of your grocery budget on grains and eat nothing but ramen for a month.

When you start looking for things around the house to pawn so you can buy a barley crusher.

When you buy your parents a new fridge and take to old to turn it into a Kegarator.

The tricky part now is to convince the wife that I'm going to drill hole and have a faucet sticking out from it.

When you openly cry in front of your computer at work because you can afford the electrical controller that's for sale in "The For Sale Section." :(

When you buy your grain in quantities so large that you regularly have more on hand than the LHBS.

Latest posts

Back