your addicted to homebrewing when......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You own 7 refrigeration units and only one of them contains food.

according to SWMBO i was muttering in my sleep last night about pros and cons of immersion chillers and plate chillers...

you sleep in an uncomfortably warm room because the space heater is putting a carboy through a diacetyl rest...and its your roommate's beer, not yours (he won't take care of it properly)

You donate your dining set so the dining room has space for a kegerator and fermentation chiller...

Your girlfriend says the jars in the fridge have gone bad. You take a look and realize she's talking about your yeast bank...

You keep collecting kegs and bottles because you're brewing faster than your friends and family and neighbors and dog and strangers and you can drink...

You call your wife from work to ask if your primary started bubbling and when she replies she doesnt know you ask her very kindly to sit and watch for a few minutes too check.
I did that today

...you are thrilled to have HBT mobile access so that you can check the site and post while on the sh!tter.

When you try to convince your wife that you are actually "saving" money everytime you brew. Little does she know that the equipment costs alone will take 20years to break even!

You meantion the kegerator in your garage without hesitation.... because doesn't everyone have one?

you entertain the idea of nameing your kids after types of hops... Simcoe will be my first born.

Your deployed half way arround the world working 12~14 hours a day 6 days a week and still manage to keep up with this site :)

Your upset you didn't get to brew one last batch to age while you were deployed for 4 months

When a big snow storm is about to hit and you send your SWMBO to the store for bread and milk and you head to the LHBS to get brewing supplies just in case you are snowed in you will still be able to brew.

Or you are hope you get snowed in and can use it as excuse to brew. "well we are snowed in, guess I can kill this down time by brewing"

Commercial beers you used to like taste like crap!

I know I'm about to run out of the IPA I have kegged, and it's at least a week before the next batch can be tapped (and it will be green at that), so I went to the local store and bought a 12 pack of SN pale ale, and a sixer of torpedo...

Used to like 'em.. now I hate 'em... All bitter and no flavor... not smooth at all..

What hops do they use in those anyways?

Once my pipeline is firmly established, I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure it never is interrupted again!

Commercial beers you used to like taste like crap!

I know I'm about to run out of the IPA I have kegged, and it's at least a week before the next batch can be tapped (and it will be green at that), so I went to the local store and bought a 12 pack of SN pale ale, and a sixer of torpedo...

Used to like 'em.. now I hate 'em... All bitter and no flavor... not smooth at all..

What hops do they use in those anyways?

Once my pipeline is firmly established, I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure it never is interrupted again!

I think that is more an indication of the route Sierra is going in, rather than your addiction to the hobby. But thats a conversation for a different thread :)

Little does she know that the equipment costs alone will take 20years to break even!

Nonsense. The commercial beers I drink costs about $10 for a 6-pack. If I drank one beer day, I will have spent over $600 on commercial beer in that year.

9 batches of homebrew will provide the same amount of beer in that year, and will cost me about $175 in ingredients.

$600- $175 = $425.

So, if you I have $425 worth of equipment, I break even in just one year.

edit: now, between me and my wife, we actually go through closer to 24 batches of homebrew a year. That would be $1600 spent each year on commercial beer. Homebrew wise, that costs me a little less than $500 to make that beer. That's $1100 saved, so I can have a NICE brewing system and STILL break even in a year.

. . . You realize that the house, sheds and garage/shop/mancave really aren't enough and that a dedicated brewhouse is in order, complete with it's own lab, pub, game room, cellar and seperate hot and cold fermentation chambers. Time to buy that lottery ticket!!

Nonsense. The commercial beers I drink costs about $10 for a 6-pack. If I drank one beer day, I will have spent over $600 on commercial beer in that year.

9 batches of homebrew will provide the same amount of beer in that year, and will cost me about $175 in ingredients.

$600- $175 = $425.

edit: now, between me and my wife, we actually go through closer to 24 batches of homebrew a year. That would be $1600 spent each year on commercial beer. Homebrew wise, that costs me a little less than $500 to make that beer. That's $1100 saved, so I can have a NICE brewing system and STILL break even in a year.

Of course if you got a part time job and worked the hours you put into brewing, you'd probably turn a profit. And if you worked at the Liquor store you could get a discount or steal your beer. The calculations are endless and I prefer to just say *#$# it and spend like a demon brewer.

Of course if you got a part time job and worked the hours you put into brewing, you'd probably turn a profit. And if you worked at the Liquor store you could get a discount or steal your beer. The calculations are endless and I prefer to just say *#$# it and spend like a demon brewer.

I only spend 9 hours every month in my brewery. :D

Your deployed half way arround the world working 12~14 hours a day 6 days a week and still manage to keep up with this site :)

Your upset you didn't get to brew one last batch to age while you were deployed for 4 months

:off: Thanks for your service!

Your roommate threatens to move out because you used the fridge as a lagering chamber.

P.S. He changed his mind after he tasted said Oktoberfest. Win.

You check the label on the Brute trash can you spy at the local banquet hall to see if it's the 20 gallon size you're considering for a fermenter. :eek:

$600- $175 = $425.

I like your style man, that's how I convinced my SWMBO that the kegerator was a good idea. Next stop, mashtun etc.

uh.....:off:

I think I've said this in a thread a while back but...

You watch a football game and all you see on the sidelines are mash tuns.

$600- $175 = $425.

I figure I save $100 every time I brew... That pays for the equipment pretty dang fast...... and I'm being conservative with the $100 estimate...... and just knowing that I'm not paying extortion fees to the govt via their unethical sin taxes (modern day indulgences) makes it worth it all by itself...

You have a dedicated climate-controlled "beer room" that is totally isolated from the rest of the house.

I think that is more an indication of the route Sierra is going in, rather than your addiction to the hobby. But thats a conversation for a different thread :)

I'd like to know more about that.... So does a thread on this already exist, or do I need to start one?

When looking at a house, the biggest deciding factor is a second kitchen in the basement that would be perfect for brewing......

Back