Youngs ipa ready to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bataviabrew

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

So this was fermenting nicely for around 16 days (this is my 1st ever kit incidentally), the gravity reading was bang on 1.010 so as per instructions I dry hopped it. It's been dry hopping for 5 days now and the gravity reading is now 1.007 for the past 2 days, again as per instructions.

However, it is still showing visible signs of fermentation, in that the airlock still occasionally bubbles, and when I opened the lid the past two nights to take a reading, you could see bubbles happening in the beer. Is this normal?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I've came this far I just don't wanna mess it up.

Cheers.

Found a couple f articles on google. Suggests I take 3 days in a row and if the same, start to bottle! I shall do again tomorrow.

I see there can be other reasons it is bubbling, and to trust the hydrometer!

Batavia: Welcome! As you probably figured out, those bubbles are CO2 that are coming out of solution. Various reasons- temperature changes, atmospheric pressure changes are two most common. Doesn't necessarily mean that new CO2 is being produced. So, definitely the only way to be sure that fermentation is over is by having stable SG readings over a 2-3 day period. After 16 days, plus another 5 dryhopping she is almost certainly done, but take those readings to give you peace of mind. Good luck and enjoy it! :mug:

Your fermentation may be done. You don't need to take an SG reading on consecutive days. Take SG reading three days apart. Daily changes may be difficult to notice. Take another SG sample in two days, given your post time, if it is still 1.007, and the beer is clearing, you are ready to bottle.

I would bet it's done. I just ferment all my (average gravity) ales for 2 weeks. I dry hop during the second week if that's what I'm going to do. I check the FG on bottling day, but mainly just for my records and to give me an excuse to drink the hydrometer sample. It's never been not done after 2 weeks. YMMV, especially with higher gravity beers.

Back