You Yanks drive me crazy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love it when working on a car, the two easiest to reach bolts are standard and the one on the rear of a part is in metric!!!how does that happen at the factory?

They are little tabs. The old ones were one per bottle...these are smaller and you can do 3-5, they say, depending on carbonation. I think the first order of business is a little 6-pack trial with different amounts ;)

haha its funny how many of you Americans dont even like Imperial and would gladly switch over to Metric, yet the country is still primary running on The Imperial System.

Bah, that metric stuff is a fad. It'll never last.

I can just imagine watching a football game with my 354.882355 mL beer, as the quarterback makes a pass for First and 9.144.

^^^

Dude.. A little warning just spit Oatmeal Stout all over the SWMBO's laptop. F'in hilarious.

Cheers...

The gill is 1/4 pint. In the U. S. customary system, one gill is equal to 1/2 cup, 4 fluid ounces, 7.21875 cubic inches, or about 118.3 milliliters. ...

In the British Imperial system, the hogshead equals 1/2 butt, or 52.5 Imperial gallons (8.429 cubic feet, or 238.67 liters). ...

I give in you convinced me Imperial is better I think I'll go back to the old way.

In Anglo-Saxon England (before the Norman conquest of 1066), short distances seem to have been measured in several ways. The inch (ynce) was defined to be the length of 3 barleycorns, which is very close to its modern length. The shaftment was frequently used, but it was roughly 6.5 inches long. Several foot units were in use, including a foot equal to 12 inches, a foot equal to 2 shaftments (13 inches), and the "natural foot" (pes naturalis, an actual foot length, about 9.8 inches). The fathom was also used, but it did not have a definite relationship to the other units.

So one foot is 9 and 4/5 inches.
At least I have plenty of barley to use instead of them new fangled tape measures!
Where's me shafetment gone!

Sound good to me.

I have big feet. The heavy boots I used to wear in construction (carpenter) measured exactly 1 foot (No sh*t, Sherlock). The tip of my pinky to the end of it's second knuckle when bent is two inches. Elbow to finger tip is conveniently half a metre......When I was approximating measurements it would be quite a dance! :D

I have said it before, but I find it silly that (US) Americans want to make less beer per batch...

well all the equipment is in convenient multiples of 5gal capacity.

as to those gills and hogs, we don't need 'em! the day America sells its sole to the metric system, is the day i leave this sorry excuse of pussies.

haha its funny how many of you Americans dont even like Imperial and would gladly switch over to Metric, yet the country is still primary running on The Imperial System.

Not me. I work construction, and if I had to switch I would be lost. so add the construction industry to the list of reasons why we don't make the switch.

We’re creatures of perception, not words. If you say a mile, I can picture the distance. If you say 10 pound, I know what it feels like to pick up 10 pounds. So, it all comes down to communication. As long as we know what the other guy is talking about it doesn’t matter if it’s inch or metric. All you clowns who switch over to metric are the one’s who screwed up a working system of communication. I’m sure that somewhere down the road someone will come up with an even better, easier method, but if it mucks up the way we communicate, it’s worthless.

Now get me a damn beer. And it sure as hell better be 12 ounces!
:drunk:

I think it has something to do with the fact that we kicked your butts back in 1776, why should we adopt anything that you losers advocate. ;)

Same reasons we drive trucks and not lorries, put groceries in our trunks and not bonnets, and drive on the correct side of the road. :D

We’re creatures of perception, not words. If you say a mile, I can picture the distance. If you say 10 pound, I know what it feels like to pick up 10 pounds. So, it all comes down to communication. As long as we know what the other guy is talking about it doesn’t matter if it’s inch or metric. All you clowns who switch over to metric are the one’s who screwed up a working system of communication. I’m sure that somewhere down the road someone will come up with an even better, easier method, but if it mucks up the way we communicate, it’s worthless.

Now get me a damn beer. And it sure as hell better be 12 ounces!
:drunk:

well yea I can fully understand that, but at one time metric wasnt used by anybody, but everybody else switched longggg ago and there all better for it, even though they had to adjust because of their perceptions as well. are you telling me you are just basically stuck in your ways and not willing to adapt change, even though you know its better? CHange isnt always easy, but just because your used to doing something the crappy way, doesnt mean you should continue doing something the crappy way

And REALLY you guys are the ones screwing up communication, because you are more or less the ONLY ones that AREN'T using it. we can all communicate fine, but you guys are the only ones who are different. I think it all comes down to you guys just having to be different from everyone else haha. Its like the whole lieutenant vs the "left"-tenant arguement.

well all the equipment is in convenient multiples of 5gal capacity.

Yours might be, but mine isn't. "Wine" Carboys are sold here in many beer kits, and my buckets have natural marks at 23 L...

Finding a pot has been a pain, but mostly because I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

interesting ipinions here. however, part of what defines the great US, is we don't blindly believe the rest of the world.

Believe? In what way? That the metric system exists? That base ten makes for easier calculations than "12 inches in 1 foot and 3 feet in one yard" or that it makes less sense than dividing those inches into factors of eight?

Sure, have an opinion (or even and ipinion if you want) but at least state what it is if you are going to participate in an argument.

Ok. You got us. There is really only one reason we haven't moved to the metric system. We do it just to annoy the rest of you folks. :D

It's working! heheheheheheheh

interesting ipinions here. however, part of what defines the great US, is we don't blindly believe the rest of the world.

blindly beleive the rest of the world? If you actually looked at it and realized that metric is superior to imperial you wouldnt have to "blindly" believe the rest of the world.

My favourite thing like this with the US is the rank lieutenant. Do you guys know why the rest of the world pronounces it Left-tenant? Because liu is another world for toilet. You guys basically have toilet soliders. lol. But don't blindly change if you don't want to, it just makes us smile :D

Cause it's French....

Converting would make my job much easier. I think the imperial system is here to stay. It would had to of been adopted before or during the beginning of the industrial revolution. Bit of a bummer really.

It's really up to us as individuals and businesses. If we want to go entirely metric, it's possible to have the only conversion happen as it is received into the door. It might take 50 years, but that's where it would need to start.

Learn, absorb, forget.

Knowing about 2.54 is like knowing about 3.142......

I learn all the beer math. Once I understand I then very rarely us it but at least I understand. KISS.

Always learn the long way round before using short cuts.

Learn, absorb, forget.

Knowing about 2.54 is like knowing about 3.142......

I learn all the beer math. Once I understand I then very rarely us it but at least I understand. KISS.

Always learn the long way round before using short cuts.

Superb advice (and I see your "nerd" showing :p)

Learn it all and then use what works for you. You will forget the rest. We're not built to know everything and we will soon lose the knowledge of that which we do not practice, but you will remember where it came from and have a reference.

And you know what...sometimes it is better to measure hops in grams (except when I'm using ProMash, dammit...) :D

It's the world we live in...what else are we to do!?

are you telling me you are just basically stuck in your ways and not willing to adapt change, even though you know its better?
Calling it "Better" is the problem. If no one had ever switch to metric would the world some how be a worse place. Have their been significant advances made in other countries solely because the metric system was used? If we all used metric would it end war, cure aids, stop natural disasters?

There’s nothing wrong with chance if it can produce tangible results. There is no point in changing an established, working system of communication just because some academic nerds think it’s better. I’m sorry if it hurts your brain when you actually have to think to convert between pints and ounces, but in the end it’s still the same amount of beer in your glass.

Calling it "Better" is the problem. If no one had ever switch to metric would the world some how be a worse place. Have their been significant advances made in other countries solely because the metric system was used? If we all used metric would it end war, cure aids, stop natural disasters?

There’s nothing wrong with chance if it can produce tangible results. There is no point in changing an established, working system of communication just because some academic nerds think it’s better. I’m sorry if it hurts your brain when you actually have to think to convert between pints and ounces, but in the end it’s still the same amount of beer in you glass.

OK then, not better. just more logical, intuitive and sensible. ;)

I believe Grandpa Simpson said it best:

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."

This notion that America won't change anything that is already working well enough is just nonsense. Webster deliberately re-wrote the English dictionary just out of spite and to further distance American culture from English culture! There was no logic behind removing it. Just think of all those missing U's and Z's where there should be S's as evidence that America can change if it wants to, but only if it stands a chance of pissing someone off! :D

Latest posts

Back