You know you're a hophead when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your freezer looks like this

4k61I.jpg

584oz of hops.

Whats that non-hop related crap on the door? Your addiction is not strong enough.

I kid. I kid.

You finish breaking down a pound of amarillo and sprinkle the scraps from your table and scale into the beer you're drinking.

You save the empty bag from that pound and take a big sniff everyday until there's no smell left.

Where you hop burst more so that you get the flavor/aroma you want without a face implosion of IBUs (IBUs suck, I want the flavor/aroma). When you dry hop in serving keg at the rate of [at least] 1oz per 3 gallons. :D

I have somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds of hops in my brew fridge freezer. I ONLY have hops in that freezer. Not one spec of food in there. If there was, it would either be tossed out, or put into the food fridge freezer. :D

I've also thought about getting a small chest freezer just for hop storage. Just waiting for one to go on sale really. :D

IMO, IBUs don't make you a hop-head. They just make you a bitter person. :eek: :D More flavor/aroma additions makes you more of a hop head. :rockin: 7+oz all from 20 minutes from the end forward is a wonderful thing in an ale... Just make sure you do it for the right style/recipe. :D

When most of your tubing is stained with a greenish tint, even though its been soaked in pbw. same with the stoppers.

You buy a certain brand of dishwasher detergent - not because it gets your dishes cleaner, but because it's called "Cascade."

You drive through Oregon, and think..."isn't it awesome they named that magnificent volcanic wonder after Mt. Hood hops?"

Sit in your closet under the stairs where your IPA is brewing just to bask in the hop glory!

When you cant see thru your IPA because its soo fresh and hoppy, and you refuse to filter the beer.

I saw "Hop tincture" in the pharmacy the other day. There was all sorts of new-agey, herbalist claims on the packaging. "Sleep Better!" "Improve Digestion!" "Male Enhancement!" "Not Evaluated by FDA!"

Nowhere to be found was the variety of hop.

Was this EKG? Chinook? Sorachi Ace? Cascade? C'mon, herbalist, let me know!

This is why I don't respect alternative medicine.

When you have at least three new or experimental varieties sitting in the freezer ready for use, sometime.

You know your a hop head, when your freshly dumped compost pile, smells like a double IPA. true story...

When you are at your in-laws and get all excited by what appears to be the smell of Centenial or Citra IPA, and then have to hide your disappointment when you are offered a Budweiser from your mother in law, who has just washed her hands with grapefruit scented hand soap.

you know your a hop head, when you structure an entire beer around one type of hop. Damn, this Mosaic 369 is good! I cant stop sniffing the glass.

Dry hop coffee attempt 1 was interesting. Brewed a pot of fairly strong coffee, poured into a two quart pitcher after it had cooled to about 100 f and added 1/4 oz Willamette pellets in hop bag and put it in the fridge. Subtle hoppy flavor after two hours, coffee aroma still overpowered the hops. Poured half to take to work last night. Drank more after waking up this afternoon, still not much aroma after 20 hours but much more distinct hop flavor. Made for a tasty iced coffee. I will need to keep working on this one.

Back