You know you're a dad when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigjoetrain

Reaction score
you go to check the nose on a freshly poured home brew and all you smell is the Desitin on your finger.
had to share.

My FIL (former homwbrewer) has a disturbing story of another substance from that general area disturbing the sense of smell...

Biggest impact my almost 9 mo old daughter and center of my world has on my brewing is super absurd long brew days.

Your last batch didn't carb properly because after you started to rack to the BB, your 10 month old decided it was time to eat and take a nap. After a good 30 min of feeding/go the F to sleep time, you start bottling without stirring the sugar solution back up. Oops. :/ At least it was a brown ale. :D

thebigjoetrain said:
good to know I'm not alone

Btw: my kid has pretty bad exima (sp?) and we have this cream for him that smells strongly like new shoes. Like old school leather new shoes. I've drank my fair share of new shoe beers. You are not alone. :)

Btw: my kid has pretty bad exima (sp?) and we have this cream for him that smells strongly like new shoes. Like old school leather new shoes. I've drank my fair share of new shoe beers. You are not alone. :)

eczema. Ultraviolet (UV-B) light helps a lot. Depending on where it is, suntanning and even tanning beds might help. Look for derms with excimer lasers for the best targeted treatment. Beware of systemic drugs (side effects to liver et. al., can be difficult).

There's nothing that makes you realize how much you are like your own father... than when you are raising your own kids. I don't think you can escape this. My brothers and I used to secretly laugh at his funny ways; now, I am he.

I wonder if those without children notice this?

eczema. Ultraviolet (UV-B) light helps a lot. Depending on where it is, suntanning and even tanning beds might help. Look for derms with excimer lasers for the best targeted treatment. Beware of systemic drugs (side effects to liver et. al., can be difficult).

Or just vitamin D supplements, which is what UVB makes.

you realize your a dad when you spend days fighting your children for the rights of properly placed air locks. Also you tend to realize it when your wife gets bigger, then thinner after a while and there are little crying things eating floor crumbs.

My niece and nephew have it too. Try a bath with a little bleach, clears it right up. I know it sounds odd, but their doctor recommended it.

^^ I'm a kitchen manager and serve safe freak. I wash my hands like a surgeon. That Desitin smell just doesn't go away. Drives me crazy:)

thebigjoetrain said:
^^ I'm a kitchen manager and serve safe freak. I wash my hands like a surgeon. That Desitin smell just doesn't go away. Drives me crazy:)

I know. I have a 19 month old. You'd think Desitin is a fragrance.

There's nothing that makes you realize how much you are like your own father... than when you are raising your own kids. I don't think you can escape this. My brothers and I used to secretly laugh at his funny ways; now, I am he.

I wonder if those without children notice this?

Amazing isn't it, I have to stop and laugh at myself every once in a while.

You know you're an aging father when the young guys on here try to talk down to you like your older sons do. Like they could do the job better than you. We thought the same way,but now,at 55,I know better. And they still don't.:drunk::mad:

I named my raspberry wheat "cry baby raspberry wheat" after trying to bottle the batch while my 3 month old refused to be set down. It wasn't too bad holding him while filling the bottles with one hand but forget about trying to cap em!

When your brew day becomes days. I could fit in 1/2 my prep with my two under 2, but that's about it. Might squeeze the batch in tomorrow, but couldn't see starting the batch at 9:30 pm.

....when all the glasses are in the dishwasher, so you give your 3 year old juice in a rinsed Sierra Nevada bottle

When you are pacing around with a grumpy baby while surfing HBT on the phone. Then the three year-old is singing through the monitor instead of sleeping.

...need to put on some old school Warren G!

When you have to yell at every little damn thing ,because you have to.Even when you dont want to. How many times, how many times does it take... to push your limits. How many times how many times how many times how many times how many.......................................................................................?

For the Exema, try some Melaluca lotion, or tee tree oil, works wonders with out drying the skin out more. My two little ones are all into the brewing process, which can be hazardous, but super fun. I try to let them help whenever I can, holding the tubing, "washing" and such, makes for more fun..

Apfelwein was, at one point, apple juice... I have not done this yet, but there have been a couple of those "go the bless to sleep" nights...

Back