Yikes 200 ppm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead24

Reaction score
Oooopps Forgot to turn on my exhaust vent while brewing in my basement w/NG. Went back in the brew room after 5 min and smelled off. Looked at my CO detector and saw a reading of 200ppm. I quickly realized that I forgot to turn my fan on. I cranked her up full blast and opened a external window for more fresh air intake. I need to figure out how to set the alarm when the detector registers CO.

Anyone know what a dangerous level is?
Everyone should have a detector if brewing inside. I may consider having two!!

close call! you should make a check list before brewing it may just save your life. one fan ok two fans better idea.

At what level does carbon monoxide become toxic?
For healthy adults, CO becomes toxic when it reaches a level higher than 50 ppm (parts per million) with continuous exposure over an eight hour period.. When the level of CO becomes higher than that, a person will suffer from symptoms of exposure. Mild exposure over a few hours (a CO level between 70 ppm and 100 ppm) include flu-like symptoms such as headaches, sore eyes and a runny nose. Medium exposure (a CO level between 150 ppm to 300 ppm) will produce dizziness, drowsiness and vomiting. Extreme exposure (a CO level of 400 ppm and higher) will result in unconsciousness, brain damage and death.

http://www.carbon-monoxide-poisoning.com/article1-co-levels.html

close call! you should make a check list before brewing it may just save your life. one fan ok two fans better idea.

I will be making a check list thanks. I usually turn it on right away but had friends over and got distracted.

Terrapinj:

I have a 1250 cfm inline fan on my hood. The levels dropped very quickly. I have a fresh air return for my furnace across the hall from brewery but I opened another window just to get more air in quickly. I will set my alarm to go off at 80 ppm to warn me that levels are going up...good to know that the detector works though.

Well gotta go check the partial mash and start the boil.

Cheers!!!!

Just don't mess with CO. I'm a safety engineer by profession and I usually take a lot of the government guidelines with a grain of salt. I don't with CO, it can kill you quickly and without much (read none, without special training) notice.

Vent baby vent.

That's why I stand outside in 10 below weather in the middle of January. Not really interested in dying.

It could have ended much worse..

When I install CO detectors for my job we start ventilating at 35 PPM and sound an audible alarm at 50 ppm.

That's why I stand outside in 10 below weather in the middle of January. Not really interested in dying.

It could have ended much worse..

When I install CO detectors for my job we start ventilating at 35 PPM and sound an audible alarm at 50 ppm.

I hear ya Duluth, but I hate -10F that's why I built my brewery in the basement with NG. The detector is on 24/7 but did not have the alarm set. IT IS NOW!!!! I will reset for 50 ppm. It reads zero now with the vent going.

I hear ya Duluth, but I hate -10F that's why I built my brewery in the basement with NG. The detector is on 24/7 but did not have the alarm set. IT IS NOW!!!! I will reset for 50 ppm. It reads zero now with the vent going.

I hate it too! Just don't have the nads to do it indoors. I figure I get enough exposure on the job.

Glad to hear you have it under control.

Brew safe!

Back