Yielding less than 5 gallons.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
After all was said and done with my first batch, I got about 46 bottles out of it. I topped up my primary at 5 gallons but I guess between taking the OG samples and FG samples and leaving a little in when I got down to the yeast cake, I lost a few bottles. I'm using extract kits for now. Just curious if this is normal and how you compensate for the loss of several bottles. I don't have extra hope, malt or grains. I only have what the kits provide for now. Do you top up to a little over 5 gallons to compensate? Thanks

When I did kits, I just settled for a couple less bottles. I did a mix of 12 ouncers, 16 ounces, and 22 ouncers anyway, so I never really counted how many I ended up with. I just always made sure I had enough bottles sanitized but other than that I didn't worry about it.

When you start to have beer in the pipeline you tend to worry less about the little loses you sacrifice to the hydrometer and trub gods...A lot of us would rather have a little less of a great beer, that hit it's OG and Fg, then have a lot of not so great beer....

Especially if you have 3 or 4 different brews in various stages of fermentation or bottle conditioning, or if you have a keg, in kegs. A few ounces here or there really doesn't matter.

One thing I did is put a dip tube in my bottling bucket, I end up leaving no more than about 4 ounces behind...

Back