Yew Berry Mead (Taxus Mead recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EgmondsGoud

Reaction score
I'm planning to experiment with a mead recipe based on Yew berries, aka the berries from the Taxus plant / Yew tree. (Though poisonous, the fruitflesh on its own is safe and edible.)
I've tried some before and they have a texture akin to raspberries, just a lot sweeter so it would make sense to base this recipe on a raspberry mead recipe. They also have a sort of slimey substance slightly similar to honey.

I will make it a 4 liter recipe for a small container.

Does anyone have any experience brewing with this fruit?

Thanks in advance.

Probably not because like you know everyone is is taught that they are poisonous.

I'm planning to experiment with a mead recipe based on Yew berries, aka the berries from the Taxus plant / Yew tree. (Though poisonous, the fruitflesh on its own is safe and edible.)
I've tried some before and they have a texture akin to raspberries, just a lot sweeter so it would make sense to base this recipe on a raspberry mead recipe. They also have a sort of slimey substance slightly similar to honey.

I will make it a 4 liter recipe for a small container.

Does anyone have any experience brewing with this fruit?

Thanks in advance.
Hi @EgmondsGoud,
I know its been 5years but I am planning on doing the same. Did you have any notewoethy results? Did it work out? Did you went through with it? I hope I can learn from your attempt.
Kind regards

Hope the poisonous thing isn't why he hasn't been back these 5yrs Have a few trees around, one saved my life, maybe. (long story)

Their fruit didn't taste very good when I tried an extremely small amount. I also found a dead rat with one in it's mouth in my back yard one time, though I think it was a case of it tried to swallow the smaller end and it stuck and strangled it, vs an actual poisoning thing.

Hope the poisonous thing isn't why he hasn't been back these 5yrs. Have a few trees around, one saved my life, maybe. (long story)

Their fruit didn't taste very good when I tried an extremely small amount. I also found a dead rat with one in it's mouth in my back yard one time, though I think it was a case of it tried to swallow the smaller end and it stuck and strangled it, vs an actual poisoning thing.

Egmonds hasn't been here since shortly after this post in 2017.
My understanding is that the seeds are very poisonous, but the flesh is not. Not worth trying to me, I have no desire to test it. There's plenty of other fruit to try that's far less risky.

He guys, thank you for your imput! Very helpfull.
I am looking for ways and certain types of fruit which can be beneficial when consumed. The yew berry contains strong anticarcinogenic compouns which I would like to infuse my brew with.
Regarding taste I will believe it doesnt bring nice/unique strong flavour.
Have a nice evening,

It's not answering any of your questions, but i found this in the "Native American Book" by Daniel E. Moerman : Iroquois fermented yew fruits and maple water into a "little beer". It is not stated if they used this primarily for food or as a medicine.

hdj.jpg

https://www.drugs.com/pro/docetaxel.html

Yew 'berries' (arils) are perfectly safe and actually quite nice. The only part of a yew that is safe to ingest. Spit out the seeds, though, FFS.

Back