Yet Another Water Treatment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies because I know if I spent long enough sorting this out, I could probably come up with my own answer, but chemistry class was the low point of my first year of college.

Some highlights from a water analysis I had done by Ward:

• pH: 7.3
  • Nitrate: 2
  • Sulfate: 2
  • Total Hardness CaCO3: 58
My research so far (which may be incorrect) says these numbers are off for brewing IPAs (pH too high, nitrate to sulfate proportions out of whack, CaC03 too low).

First, am are those correct assumptions? Second, what are my treatment options (besides just buying R0 water, which I'd prefer to avoid)? Will adding calcium chloride work?

I've only made a few batches so far and I'm generally happy with them but they could be better. I'm getting fermentation temps under control (thanks to plentiful help from this forum) and am moving from extract to a Grainfather system, but I'm always looking for more ways to improve.

My research so far (which may be incorrect) says these numbers are off for brewing IPAs (pH too high, nitrate to sulfate proportions out of whack, CaC03 too low).

First, am are those correct assumptions?

No, you are not correct.
What are you thinking about with the nitrate to sulfate proportions? Ideally, you want 0 nitrates. But many people with wells have them. If the amount is safe to consume, it doesn't matter.

The CaCO3 is never too low- as there is not any desired amount at all for it. You want some alkalinity it some cases, especially when making a stout, but you can always add some.

Raw water pH rarely matters, unless there's a crapton of ionic content to hold that up in the face of mash influences.
What usually matters is residual alkalinity (though there can be other, out-of-scope water issues to be sure).
While you didn't provide the RA, the total hardness as CaCO3 is actually moderate, and with a bit of acid could be knocked down to easily used levels...

Cheers!

Anyway, the water seems ok but you need more information to be able to use it. Can you post the full analysis, and we can help with what you may need to do for batches? Overall, it could be great water from the little info we have.

Yes, I'm on a well. I thought I got the nitrate : sulfate rations from an old copy of David Miller's Complete Book of Home Brewing but I could be (probably am) wrong.

Glad I asked--thanks for the feedback.

No, you are not correct.
What are you thinking about with the nitrate to sulfate proportions? Ideally, you want 0 nitrates. But many people with wells have them. If the amount is safe to consume, it doesn't matter.

The CaCO3 is never too low- as there is not any desired amount at all for it. You want some alkalinity it some cases, especially when making a stout, but you can always add some.

Here's the full analysis--I didn't want to do a info dump on everyone, but apparently it's necessary to really understand what's going on.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 6.18.49 PM.png

Pretty nice water overall! When you look at the bicarbonate, it's a little higher ideal (but probably about average). You'll likely need some phosphoric acid for very pale grainbills to get the mash pH where it's ideal.

Both your sulfate and chloride are low, which is fine. It just means that you'll want to have some gypsum and calcium chloride on hand to increase those ions. Both of those will increase the calcium as well, so that's all good.

I think you can brew anything with phosphoric acid, calcium chloride, and gypsum on hand. If you brew a very dark black stout, you may want a little baking soda as well, but those other items are likely all you need.

I assume you have no chlorine since you're all on a well, so that's something that you don't have to deal with.

Yooper - Thanks. Yes, the taste of the water overall is great. We have a spring-fed well. Glad to not have to deal with chlorine.

Can any of you recommend a source for figuring out what quantities of the different chemicals to add?

That's actually really good base water - it won't take much adjustment for any style. By comparison, I put in an RO system because my RA was ~200 (and there actually is a limit to how much Phosphoric Acid one can use before it becomes obvious).

fwiw, I've used Bru'n Water for many years, but there are alternatives you can find referenced right here in
this forum...

Cheers!

Back