Yet another "guess my keg issue(s)" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
Stand-up kegerator fridge. Using I believe 12' of bevseal ultra line per tap w/John Guest fittings. Currently have coils ziptied and hanging generally around / above the top of the kegs / QDs.

I notice on pretty much all three kegs an air bubble or two at the highest point in the outermost coil(s) (more than I do tiny bubbles at the QD). First pour is usually a bit more foamy as a result of this. I replaced O-rings and lube the QD O-rings and lid seal every time they're re-exposed. Did not replace poppets, or I guess the tiny poppet O-rings (not normally incl in a 'recondition' pack, etc). I've read bubbles / CO2 in the line is generally dip tube O-ring, but I replaced those, so...something else?

Have my controller set to 40*, insulated probe bungee'd around the bottom of a keg. Beer in glass temp is maybe 4-5 degrees higher last I checked. Have had PSI set to around 11 / a smidge above 10. My beers generally look like the attached pic in the glass, which is a bit weird to me (the way there's so much bubblage hanging to the glass I guess). My mouth hasn't suggested anything is off in carb...but is that pic suggestive of overcarb, or am I just being crazy?

stout_carb.jpg

Dirty/scratched glassware or maybe your dishwasher is not rinsing properly? Try pouring into a clear plastic unused cup (and see if bubbles appear) or hand wash a few glasses and rinse well.

12' of tubing in a refrigerator between the keg and tap seems like a lot. 5-6' should be plenty. I usually dispense out of my fridge at 6-9 PSI depending on the beer.

You're using 3/16 tubing, right?

You're using 3/16 tubing, right?

The bevseal ultra is a bit more restrictive than your normal vinyl tubing, so people usually run a bit longer. That said, I don't have any issues with flow rate.

Glassware I'm probably 50/50 on hand wash vs. dishwasher, and I'll go a few uses with washing with just water before I clean with soap. I don't really notice that 'effect' happening with bottled / canned commercial beer. More research might be in order re: all 3 beers vs. commercial beers. *burp*

CO2 bubbles in the beer line can also be due to temperature. Do you have a fan in the fridge? You may have warmer air at the top of the fridge... which is where the lines are located. So the start of your pours will be a bit more gassy/foamy. Get a small fan to blow the air around and cool everything.

:mug:

I've been contemplating that. Might become a reality soon.

Another point: I've tried using the Blichmann beer gun probably 4 times by now and the only time I've had any sort of moderate success avoiding excessive foaming was on a realllly thick BCB Vanilla Rye clone that never carb'd in bottles and even on tap, seemed notably less carb'd than all of the other beers I've had on the kegs so far. The other times, I've tried freezing bottles, not freezing and wetting bottles, having the keg in a bucket of ice water as I'm dispensing...always using just enough pressure to push the beer after clearing head space. Doesn't really get much / any better as I get through a few bottles. Not sure if that's lending to overcarb theory.

First, 6' of 3/16" ID tubing of any type is unlikely to provide a satisfactory pour - unless one is running really low dispensing pressure for some reason.

On top of that, Bev Seal Ultra 235 is significantly LESS restrictive than straight PVC lines (like Bevlex 200).
It's not unusual to read of folks who had to run 20' or more to tame their pours.

Finally, take the advise to install an "air stirring fan" to heart, it can make a huge difference in "first pour" quality by keeping the lines cooler...

Cheers!

I have about 10' of bev hose for each of my kegs (my kegerator is made from a dorm room fridge). I coil the hoses up and use velcro to keep them together and they sit on top of the kegs. i also have a fan that circulates the cold air around the fridge and also up into the draft tower. If cold air is not getting up into the draft tower than your hoses up there are bit warmer than the inside of your fridge.

Have you tried lowering your serving pressure down to about 5-7psi? I found that some style beers pour better when the serving pressure is down low.

The bubbles on the glass below the liquid (beer) level is an indication that your glasses are not "beer clean".

The bubbles on the glass below the liquid (beer) level is an indication that your glasses are not "beer clean".

Is there a reason that phenomenon only happens from a tap vs. pouring from a can / bottle? Or perhaps it could be through some happenstance of combination that I'm envisioning it that way...just seems like I've only really ever seen it on my tap pours.

day_trippr said:
First, 6' of 3/16" ID tubing of any type is unlikely to provide a satisfactory pour - unless one is running really low dispensing pressure for some reason.

Right...I think that was someone else. I went over 10' b/c bevseal...if I remember correctly I cut 12'. The only foaming issues I have that I can tell (outside of beer gun) seems to be from the CO2 pocket(s) in the lines on first pour.

The "beer clean" phenomenon was taught to me in a beer pouring/serving class that I attended at AB in LA. You should be able to prove or disprove by washing and drying a glass by hand and pouring another.

Back