Yet Another First All-Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caphector

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing up a batch of Ó Flannagáin Standard's stout. Mash tun is an Igloo Ice Cube cooler, using a turkey fryer burner + pot.

Mash started about 4°F hot (158 rather than 154) but I was able to drop it pretty quickly with some cool water. Temp seems to be holding well.

I think I mashed in with ~3.5 gallons of watter, and I'll be sparging with another 3 gallons or so. If I don't hit my volumes I've got some extra water heated up.

Mash'll be done in ~15 minutes. Then sparging and hoping I hit my gravity.

Just ran off first runnings. My three-year-old nephew is telling me it smells good, and the gravity is ~1.069. Very dark brown, and I'm getting a bit concerned that I'll go over my target gravity.

It occured to me a couple minutes ago that I was far more anxious about nailing my technique on my first batch of extract beer. This has been comparatively relaxing. Might be all the time I've spent reading about technique.

Next update: Second runnings are 1.020; that gave me ~6.5 gallons of wort at 1.037. That's one gallon over my expected pre-boil gravity.

Target OG is 1.043, so I don't think I'll have too many problems boiling off enough to hit that.

P.S. I plan to post some pics later, if they turned out well.

Next update: Second runnings are 1.020; that gave me ~6.5 gallons of wort at 1.037. That's one gallon over my expected pre-boil gravity.

Target OG is 1.043, so I don't think I'll have too many problems boiling off enough to hit that.

P.S. I plan to post some pics later, if they turned out well.

6.5 gallons is about right on!:rockin:

And last update: Cooling went fine, but boil-off was a bit more than I expected. I was aiming to get 5.5 gallons in carboy, but only got 5 gallons.

Other than that, it went great. Maybe one point off on my pitching gravity, but that's not signifigant. Overall, first all-grain brew-day went well.

Back