Yet another extract-late question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southwood

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I understand the purpose of using the extract-late method and am an avid supporter of gaining maximum hop utilization, but I did have a few (2) questions:

1. When using this method, do you keep the total boil time the same (ie: 60 min)? I tried this for the first time on my last batch. At 45 min I killed the fire, stirred in my LME & then fired it back up again. Total time between flame off & boiling again was about 10 min. My wort was only actively boiling for 50 min (still tastes good though!).

2. When using extract recipes such as in Clone Brews, Jamil's, or Charlie's (or even B3's & NB's), should you up the hop additions to account for the increaced utilization using this method?

Thanks for allowing me to waste your time!

Cheers! :mug:

I usually boil 60 and add the LME when I shut down the flame. Haven't had any problems with contamination.

If anything I think you would want to lower your hops if adding the LME late. The IBU's in Clone Brews are set up for a higher SG boil than you are doing, therefore you may get too much bittering out of their amounts.

Barry

Southwood said:
should you up the hop additions to account for the increaced utilization using this method?

Whoops... I meant decrease hop additions :eek:

Thanks for the replies!

Back