Yet another did I ruin it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmccoy

Reaction score
So I was making my second ever batch. An ipa extract kit, everything went well from the beginning all the way up to right after pitching the yeast. I pitched, then apparently I hulk smashed the bung too hard and it popped into the carboy. So I sanitized my bottling bucked and dumped the wort in there. And with the help of my girlfriend finagled it back out. Then popped back into the carboy and gently put the bung and airlock back on. Hopefully I'm freaking out about nothing, but should the time the bung (sanitized) was in the wort (less than 3 minutes) affect the finished product?
Thanks in advance.

you're good. Fermentation has the ability to take care of anything that might have gotten in there. I wouldn't worry at all.

Some people leave the bung in the bottom of the fermentor for the entire fermentation process and have no issues when this has happened to them, you should be fine.

Completely ruined!

J/k. The only two concerns I would have are 1. Make sure you didn't overcompensate and not put it back on tight enough; and 2. If you have drops of wort on the outside bung, you're gonna have a moldy mess before too long, though it shouldn't be problem on the inside where it matters. You'll just have to be very careful when you remove it.

Completely ruined!

J/k. The only two concerns I would have are 1. Make sure you didn't overcompensate and not put it back on tight enough; and 2. If you have drops of wort on the outside bung, you're gonna have a moldy mess before too long, though it shouldn't be problem on the inside where it matters. You'll just have to be very careful when you remove it.

If mold did grow on the outside of the bung it would be very easy to take care of. Just clean the mold off! Or clean the top of the bung now...

Thanks for the replies. I re sanitized the bung before I put it back in, so mold shouldn't be an issue. And I actually let my girlfriend put it in this time I was acted to do it again lol.

Back