Yet Another Basement Brewery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... Just found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...hash=item23384f591b:m:m8jeope7kAOhQWfGm5fgLwA
s-l225.jpg

It appears the pump head is SS (exterior) but may not be rated for high temp...

Ya, I asked the seller what the internals are made of - impeller, shaft, seals, etc.

The one advertised as high-temp food-safe is $130. I may just go that route if I break another plastic one lol.

Ya, I asked the seller what the internals are made of - impeller, shaft, seals, etc.

The one advertised as high-temp food-safe is $130. I may just go that route if I break another plastic one lol.

Once you get over $100, you're pretty much back in Chugger territory. Those small $22 DC solar pumps are cheap enough you can keep an extra on hand if you break one. Once you get your system dialed in and plumped how you like it, then you could upgrade to Chugger/March. Just a thought...

Once you get over $100, you're pretty much back in Chugger territory. Those small $22 DC solar pumps are cheap enough you can keep an extra on hand if you break one. Once you get your system dialed in and plumped how you like it, then you could upgrade to Chugger/March. Just a thought...

I already have 2 stainless 3/4"-1/2" Chuggers, these smaller ones are for HLT recirculation (destratification), and for slower quieter HERMS circulation/mashing.

The idea was to have something slow and quiet for both. I imagine the bilge pumps probably aren't quiet. The plastic ones are perfect.

EDIT: Here's a preliminary pic. I have it finished now, no pics yet.
stainless-parts3.jpg

If you scroll up you can see the further detail on the system; closed loop so no hose swapping, uses 3-way valves, two Chuggers, and two small pumps. My OCD dictates the small pumps need to be stainless, not to mention I've already broken a plastic one and it hasn't even seen water yet.

.... My OCD dictates the small pumps need to be stainless, not to mention I've already broken a plastic one and it hasn't even seen water yet.

No need to say anymore. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do... ;)

Looking forward to your build!

:mug:

Is anyone here an Arduino expert?
(Or even a novice??)

My newest plan for a water level indicator on HLT and BK (and maybe MT) is to use an Arduino I got as a gift for Christmas (with plans to use it for future brewery automation), and some waterproof ultrasonic modules (like car reverse sensors).

ultra_pro2.jpg

The idea would be to mount the sensors up in the vent hood, and program the Arduino to know the distance between the sensor on the ceiling and the bottom of an empty pot, and the sensor on the ceiling and the water level of a full pot; with a little 3rd grade math I could then have it easily figure out how much water was in either vessel... Then I could easily adapt the brew panel to automate the fill solenoid based on what my inputs were.

For example: I want to fill the HLT up with 11.5 gallons of strike water. I input '11.5' onto my panel, it turns on the solenoid, fills to the right amount, and shuts off the solenoid. Seems almost too simple...

All I need to do now is get some parts and start a prototype.

Once the brewery is done first of course lol.

Is anyone here an Arduino expert?
(Or even a novice??)

My newest plan for a water level indicator on HLT and BK (and maybe MT) is to use an Arduino I got as a gift for Christmas (with plans to use it for future brewery automation), and some waterproof ultrasonic modules (like car reverse sensors).

ultra_pro2.jpg

The idea would be to mount the sensors up in the vent hood, and program the Arduino to know the distance between the sensor on the ceiling and the bottom of an empty pot, and the sensor on the ceiling and the water level of a full pot; with a little 3rd grade math I could then have it easily figure out how much water was in either vessel... Then I could easily adapt the brew panel to automate the fill solenoid based on what my inputs were.

For example: I want to fill the HLT up with 11.5 gallons of strike water. I input '11.5' onto my panel, it turns on the solenoid, fills to the right amount, and shuts off the solenoid. Seems almost too simple...

All I need to do now is get some parts and start a prototype.

Once the brewery is done first of course lol.

Not sure it will be as accurate and consistent as you would like? But who knows??

Search for "STC-1000+". I've seen guys that use Arduinos to flash the STC-1000 temp controllers on those thread(s).

Not sure it will be as accurate and consistent as you would like? But who knows??

The modules claim an accuracy of 1cm, which in a 16" pot is approximately a quart... I'd be cool with half-gallon accuracy, so I figure this should be sufficient.

It's really only for cheap coolness factor, and even if it's half as accurate as they say it is, it's still twice as accurate as I really need... My concern is with steam, but the sensor says its waterproof, so...

I'll have to do a lot of testing before I let it control water without me in the room lol.

Sub'ed I'm doing the same thing in my basement. Keep going, I've almost caught you and need more ideas. haha :mug:

Sub'ed I'm doing the same thing in my basement. Keep going, I've almost caught you and need more ideas. haha :mug:

Ya I've been put on hold temporarily until the HVAC guys can finish their install (we just bought a beautiful brand new furnace and heat pump, they're just about done all the duct work.

No more electric heat = freed up power to run a brewery!

Well, long time no post, but the HVAC work is all done, the yard is just about squared away, the bathrooms are almost done, the chicken coop is built... Now it's time to get back to the brewery! More to come soon.

Back