Yet Another Apple Jack Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPowell

Reaction score
So, I want to do run of cider for the purposes of making apple jack. I'm trying to make enough to fill at least a 750ML bottle. I have several questions which, after doing a quick forum search, I still need some insight on.

1) How much cider do I need to start with to reach the 750ml (or 25 ounces)? I'm assuming only one freezing cycle. I was hoping to get away with a half-gallon run, but I don't know how much you lose to a freezing cycle.

2) Which yeast for maximum abv? I'm considering ec1118, which I think will survive up to 18%. I plan on buying some today. If this isn't the right type, I can always use it somewhere else and it's certainly cheap enough to not worry overmuch about it.

3) How do I figure out how much sugar to add to the primary? I know I can use an online calculator based on gravity readings. Is there another way?

4) I want the final product to be sweet or at least not completely dry. Once the ferment is done, should I treat with campden tablets or can I assume that the high alcohol content will have killed the yeast for me (given that I reached at least 18% abv via gravity reading)? I figure I can add enough sugar to make the alcohol, then add more on top for residual sweetness or backsweeten after letting it ferment dry, but I certainly don't want a bottle bomb while I let it age in a bottle. I'm guessing campden tablets are safest, but that's why I'm asking.

5) Should I let it sit in primary or secondary for a bit? I'm considering siphoning off into a secondary, letting it sit in the fridge a few days, then transferring to a plastic jug for the freezing process. I wasn't going to let it sit for an appreciable amount of time, but i figure I'd ask the wiser heads amongst us for advice on this point.

thanks all. I'll be updating the first time cider making faq thread with the answers I get.

You can try to max out the yeas ties bit by bit by adding sugar as you go along. Once they stop eating sugars you can sweeten to where you like it without bombs

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I went ahead and pitched a gallon of rocket fuel on Saturday. OG of 1.2, the online calculator said that would reach 25% if it ferments dry :)
I know the yeast won't go that high, but I didn't want to try to cut it too close to the 1.16 the calculator said I would need to get to 18% or so, which is the highest I'd read the ec-1118 would go. The LHBS said it was at least *possible*, however unlikely, that the yeast would make it to 20%, so I wanted to make sure I was over that mark, as well.

I figure I'll take a hydrometer reading once the bubbling stops. There should still be plenty of residual sugar left over. If it's too sweet, I'll figure out something to reduce the sweetness. Maybe i'll do a second half-gallon run of juice (no extra sugar), let it ferment dry and add that in. What the heck, if it sucks, i'm only out about $10 and a week's worth of time, so why not experiment a little? I'm going for a sweet, after dinner liqueur/schnapps sort of thing for holidays.

my jack was at 1.030 after the ec1118 gave up. And that was nearly too sweet. Recipe was 3 litres of store bought plain juice, and 1 KG of sugar with ec 1118 added in. It finished at 17 % before concentration.

The general consensus is that it's a little bit to sweet. But jacked it makes for a shooter. and it tasty with some sprinkled cinnamon, or very chilled.

I have another batch on the way that I'm trying to step feed sugar so that I don't end up way too sweet. I'd like to stop near 1.020

I checked last night, it's still bubbling away. It has slowed considerably, but is still going, roughly 8.5 days later...

can't wait to freeze and age this stuff.

I moved it to secondary tonight, after sitting about 5 days post fermentation. It's currently in the fridge with an airlock for cold crashing purposes. after 4 to 7 days, it's off to the freezer.

i tasted it. it was darn near drinkable as is. Potent, raw, but not outside the realm of possibility!

Latest posts

Back