Yellow Lager...what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmadness

Reaction score
I want to make a yellow lager that will be good for the warmer weather.....something with a clean, dry finish with a little bit of hops showing through. What do you guys think about the recipe below? Any changes to the yeast?

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [2.30 %] (20 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [2.30 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Danish Lager (Wyeast Labs #2042) Yeast-Lager

Looks good. Simple and should be pretty refreshing if you mash low, maybe 148. You could sub pils malt for the pale malt and it will be lighter in color and have that distinct, crisp pils malt flavor. But the pale malt will do just fine.

I think the yeast is fine. Just make sure to get a nice big pitch of yeast going, pitch around 48F, let it warm up to around 50F for the duration of fermentation That will leave you with a nice clean lager.

Thanks for the input....the reason I'm going with that pale 2 row is that I bought it in bulk for 88 cents a pound. Do you think it will make that big of a difference going with the pilsner malt....I do want that "crispness".:confused:

Thanks for the input....the reason I'm going with that pale 2 row is that I bought it in bulk for 88 cents a pound. Do you think it will make that big of a difference going with the pilsner malt....I do want that "crispness".:confused:

Not that much. Use the 2-row if you already have it.

Latest posts

Back