Yeasty smell in my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my first batch of cider. 5 gal of apple juice w/ red star champagne yeast. It fermented well, & stayed in the carboy for a total of three weeks. When I took my sample for SG testing (.998) I transfered the sample to a glass to enjoy. The rest I primed & bottled. I noticed a strong yeasty smell, but great taste. I was wondering if I bottled too early or if the smell is normal? Will it go away with time in a bottle?
:tank:

Ok, just for S&G I uncapped one of my ciders after all of a few days. There was incredible carbonation, the kind you find in commercial beer/soda. The yeasty smell was still there, and the taste was ok. I came to the conclusion that things would be ok if I just let them be. However, would I be wise to uncap and refill the carboy with the all that I have bottled? I'd then just let things run their course and re-bottle in a month... any ideas?

Latest posts

Back