yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

he-brews

Reaction score
Ok last night I brewed a pm holiday ale from BB and when I was finished, I noticed (because I m retarted) there wasn't a sachet yeast packet like there was supposed to be. So the only thing I had was Nottingham and it was borderline on the born on date. Pitched it last night about 6, got up this morning to go to work and no co2. I think I have screwed up!?

No. Sometimes it can take several days for signs of fermentation to appear. Especially when the yeast is near its expiration date. No worries.

Nottingham is a great dry yeast and being a little old shouldn't be a problem.

What temperature is your wort? If you are cool, it may just be a slow start.

If still worried...
Go buy a another packet of brewing yeast and pitch it in with the nottingham. Everything will turn out fine.

Another funny thing, this whole brew day was a disaster! The OG was supposed to be 1.050. Read it after I carboyed it and it was reading 1.104? Crazy! I guess it is what it is.

I'm not sure where I went wrong but was drinking a bit when making it, Lmao, I think I might have boiled 2 gallons instead of 2.5 or 3.

I'm having a tough time digesting that gravity difference. Unless you added way more extract than the kit came with, or used a lot less water, my guess is you didn't mix it well enough prior to the gravity reading, or your hydrometer needs calibrating.

As others have said, wait a few days before repitching. Unless you don't want to...

Sweet glad u guys are on here! I don't worry about much of anything but was deeply worried about this!!

Yeast will be fine. If you kept it in the fridge, it should be good for a few years past the use by date. At fridge temperatures it looses about 4% viability per year.

There were some packs a few years ago that were duds. If the yeast was bought in the last 2 years it shouldn't be a problem. If you still have the pack, you can probably google the batch number to see if it was from the problem lot.

If your bucket lid is not sealed properly, you can have fermentation going on and not realize it. Easiest way is to look at the beer and see if there is any evidence of kraeusen.

And the 1.104 ......... That's wrong unless you halved the volume, or brewed twice the ingredients. Did you take the sample from the bottom of the fermenter? Heavy sugars sink.

I did take it from the bottom, I used a Carboy for the fermentation and I know the top is sealed good. Thanks for all your guys help. I actually went to HBS today and told them that I didn't receive the yeast in the kit, they were skeptically but grabbed a couple kits off the floor and they were without, too! Make sure if u buy brewers best u check that all ingredients are there!!

HOLIDAY ALE IS ON ITS WAY!!!!!

ForumRunner_20121104_115839.jpg

I went back to HBS and got more nottington yesterday and she is doing great!!

Back