yeast twang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkypants

Reaction score
My first brew in 10 years (and first one on my own) has just become ready for drinking. It is really good, and all I have shared it with have said they liked it (family who don't need to be polite). But, there's a twang to it that I instantly remembered from all those years ago. Its not even unenjoyable, but its...there.
Process-
For this batch I used a midwest kit - irish red ale, with the basic yeast. The steeping grains didn't boil, but they were a little hot in the 170-180 range for part of the time because of poor temp control on my part. I also re-used the muslin bag for the hops, so there were a few husks and whatnot that I couldn't get off easily for the whole boil. I did a late extract addition even though many here say it doesn't affect utilization, and pulled the pot off the burner during the LME add to avoid scorching.
In primary for 4 weeks at 64 according to thermometer stuck on bucket. Bottled (mostly 750 ml korbel bottles) and conditioned in same cool room for two weeks, then remembered they need warmer temps and moved upstairs for another week at 74 (air temp). Freaking 80 lbs up two flights that I decided to do in one trip. Put in fridge for 2 days.
Other threads point to an "extract twang", but I think it's from the yeast because I'll drink the sludge out of the bottle to try it out (and for that yummy hangover fighting vitamin B) and that twang is there in spades.
Anyway, it's not terrible and the beer is still good, but I'd like to try to remove it for next batch. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

you may have extracted tannins from the grains (anything over 170F will do that). Otherwise you may be tasting the yeast that has settled to the bottom. Any more specific flavor to the twang? That might help narrow it down.

Guess I'll have to "experiment" a bit and pay nore attention to the details of the taste when I get home. The sacrifices we make for science!

Keep a few bottles in the fridge for a few weeks to drop more yeast out and see if that affects the flavor you're getting. Yeast can definitely affect the flavor of beer and the more you're able to drop out, the less of that flavor you'll get in the finished product.

Latest posts

Back