Yeast that doesn't need a blow-off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
I just brewed a 1.115 Russian Imperial Stout with two packets of rehydrated Nottingham yeast. Two days after pitching and the lid blew off spraying yeast and beer all of the inside of the fermentation fridge(set at 63 degrees) and leaking onto the carpet(I know, bad placement of the fridge). I now have to scrub the inside of the fridge, outside of the bucket and scrub the carpet to try and get the darkest brew I'm ever brewed out of off white carpet(probably not going to happen!)

After this experience I'm wondering if there is a clean ale yeast that doesn't act so violent with big beers? Is there an ale yeast that doesn't need a blow off tube during the early stages of fermentation? Would my only option be to use a lager yeast?

I even used a blow off tube and there was still so much pressure that the lid blew off! Crazy fermentation!

I don't think that there is such a thing: I mean, some are less foamy than others, but there are many variables, including O.G., temp, and pitch rate, so you always have a chance of needing a blow-off.

I think you're going about this the wrong way: use a blow-off rather than try to solve the problem with yeast strain; afterall, your process should not be limiting factor on recipes.

Sounds like you need a bigger blowoff tube!

Are you adding Fermcap to your brews? That really keeps the foam down. Also, temperatures on the cooler side of each yeast's range help to keep the activity in check too.

Is the fridge set to 63° F, or is the probe insulated and attached to the fermenter?

Alternatively, you could switch to brewing lagers. Much calmer fermentations. I've never needed a blowoff tube with a lager.

fermcapS - 1 drop per gallon. I always put a drop in my starters too.

A) It really helps in the boil

B) It doesn't help as much consistently in fermentation, but more times than not and keeps things at bay.

C) Better Bottles with rubber stoppers and blow-off tube are an easy equipment solution. The worst I've ever experienced with a better bottle is the pressure pushing the rubber stopper out and overflowing a little -- much less violent and much less mess pressure build up and much less mess to clean up.

Second the fermcap recommendation! The stuff is magic. I've fermented an 8% ale with a half gallon headspace and only blew off some krausen and none of the actual beer with the help of fermcap. Totally not going to do that again though...

63 degrees is the temp of the beer. I have a thermowell in the lid and the temp sensor is put in there.

Thanks for the suggestion of Fermcaps. I use it on my starters and used to use it on my boil before I got a bigger boil pot. I'll have to try it on fermentation.

I know blow-off is a sign of healthy fermentation, I just don't like the clean up! I guess it is the cost of doing business on my bigger beers! :)

I've had one blow off, where I needed a blow off tube, ever. That was in the summer of 2006, with a wheat beer that got too warm.

I hate messes, so decided about 8 years ago to use big 8+ gallon fermenters for my 5.5 gallon sized batches. Sometimes the krausen gets near the top, sometimes not, but never a blow off or a mess!

An 8 Gallon fermenter is a good idea too. I could pick up another Wine fermenter, but the only problem with that is it wouldn't fit in my fridge(too wide).

Just did a belgian quad with RBY "The Monk" yeast as a test for the homebrew shop.... it's labled as Westmalle in origin so think Wyeast 3787. I used Fermcap and fermented 5gal of wort in a 8gal Spiedel. I do stirplate starters, oxygenation with pure O2 and used servomyces as a nutrient.

Within 2 days the kreusen was out of the airlock and crap was all over. I've used multiple iterations of the westmalle strain and every single time it puked yeast, regardless of headspace. It's an angry, gluttonous pig.

If this beer isn't amazing, I'm never using it again. Ardennes/3522 is superior in every way and doesn't need to be watched like a 2 year old.

Nottingham will slow down if you lower the temp to 58. I love Notty so use it a lot. I ferment 4.2 gal batches in 5 gal carboys. Still needs a blow off, but never had a blow out.

You should have try some 3787 I had blow off with an 8 gallon batch in a 13 gallon container. But yea my last RIS the lid blew off about 3 times, out in the garage though. Get a bigger container or make smaller batches. bigger blow off tube wont clog as easily.

Yooper has the solution. Other than that fermcap. lower fermentation temperatures, a bigger blow off tube or a combination. I use 6 gallon Better Bottles and almost any yeast in almost any recipe can produce some blow off.

Why the aversion using a blow off tube? Every brew (even lagers) get a blow off tube in my fermentation chamber. It's very easy and cheap insurance. No need to put silicone in your beer, no need to adjust you chamber/space for bigger carboys (although I like that idea if you have the room), and no mess. Even in a closet, a blow off tube can be your best friend.

I don't have a problem using a blow off tube, I actually had one on when the lid blew(it clogged), and I've had to empty the gallon blow-off container twice because it keeps filling with yeast.

I figured that since we know of the yeast that produce huge krausen like 3068 and I just found 1007, that the HBTalk community would know of yeast that aren't big Krausen producers.

I still think the solution lies largely in controlling your fermentation temperature. I mean sure, if you've brewed a high-gravity beer and have insufficient headspace, you'll still get some blowoff, but if you've got 5 gallons of 1.040 (or lower) beer in a 6.5 gallon carboy, and you're getting blowout, then you're almost definitely fermenting too warm.

I still think the solution lies largely in controlling your fermentation temperature. I mean sure, if you've brewed a high-gravity beer and have insufficient headspace, you'll still get some blowoff, but if you've got 5 gallons of 1.040 (or lower) beer in a 6.5 gallon carboy, and you're getting blowout, then you're almost definitely fermenting too warm.

Not necessarily on the temp issue, a lot of people report that they need a blow off tube for a Hefe because of how WY3068 works and hefe's ferment at around 62 and they are low gravity brews. I also just did a Dry Stout(1.045) with German Ale yeast WY1007 fermented at 63(wort temp using temp probe in a thermowell) and had blow off. I think these yeasts are just know to produce fluffy krausen.

Back