Yeast Starters: Fermented Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett_McT

Seeker of Knowledge, and Homebrew
Reaction score
So I am new to the yeast propagation and repitching game. I have successfully repitched yeast slurry from an Marzen to a Baltic Porter and am currently mashing to use a propagated WLP320 culture. I was curious, is it copacetic to drink the fermented wort that comes to the top? My method is to decant/siphon off the fermented wort, throw some fresh wort in prior to pitch, swirl and pitch.

If it is copacetic to drink the fermented wort, has anyone done so? How does it taste?

I always pour my starter wort into a glass and drink some. I never finish the glass though because it’s not very good. Not bad, but not good. May be better if your Someone who puts hops in your starters.

You may drink the starter beer (=fermented wort), it's totally safe. It may taste oxidized, and it's not hopped unless you boil hops in the starter wort, otherwise, it's just a low alcohol beer.

I often drink some, or sometimes even the whole 2 liters... it's an acquired taste, I must admit. Some taste better than others, depending on the yeast. Drink it cold!

I was just drinking mine, which was fridge temp. And it sort of matches what you both are saying. And I can't believe I forgot about the no hop aspect. mine was just wheat DME and water, thats probably why it tastes weird, amongst many other things

Seriously: Throw it over a pork roast in a crockpot, then season onto the wort covered meat and slow-cook. Also works great with ribs if you do the rub-then-wrap in foil.. open the end up and pour some in.

If it is copacetic to drink the fermented wort, has anyone done so? How does it taste?

As already said ... It is not really tasty, but safe to drink. I hop my starters and it is still not tasty.

I always taste my starter to reduce the risk of pitching something infected! Especially because I always harvest my yeast from the starter.

It didn't happen so far in roughly 10 brews, but it can save the day!

Latest posts

Back