Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojavejohn

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what to do with a yeast starter that I haven't been able to use. It's been on the stir plate for about 3 days now. You see, I started the morning that I left for work. I'm a fireman and we work 24 hr. shifts. I got stuck at work and did a 72. I'm home now, but I still won't have time to use it today. What's the best plan to save this, I won't be able to brew for a few more days, I go back tomorrow for a 48. I should be able to brew right after that. Thanks for the help.

Just store it in the fridge like llbeanj said. Worst case scenario just decant the spent wort and add fresh wort to awaken the yeast once again. I had a starter in the fridge for 3 weeks before I got a chance to pitch it but its fermenting my summer ale nicely right now. So you have a a little leeway in terms of time but sooner is better.

Back