Yeast starter...wow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I brewed a cream stout on Thursday and it was also the first time I used a yeast starter...wow what a difference in fermentation speed! The recipe O.G. was supposed to be 1.054-1.055; the F.G. is supposed to be 1.017-1.018. The krausen fell back into the beer yesterday and I racked it today. Even though the O.G. started out higher than the recipe specified (1.064), the S.G. at racking was already 1.026--less than 0.010 away from the target! If anybody out there isn't using a starter YOU SHOULD BE!!!

I know what you mean:D I just pitched my second starter and I have definately noticed a more aggressive, quicker fermentation than I have ever seen. I will not even mess with installing a 3 piece airlock after pitching yeast. I install a blow off tube for the first 3 days then go to the airlock;)

I plan on sometime in my next two batches to do a belgian wit. If I'm making a starter for that, do I use the 55/45 whealt malt extract? The answer would seem obvious, but sometimes the big picture alludes me, haha.

There are two kinds of brewers....those who use starters, and those who should be.

Welcome to the starter club!!!!

USUALLY, I said, "usually", wheat costs more than extra light DME.

I use Extra Light DME for all of my starters because, other than rice, is about the only DME you can use that will not affect your brew. I mean, you would not make a dark DME starter for a pilsner would you?

Any way, for the most part you are only using a cup so use the lightest available.:D

You know I have to admit one reason why I loved to make the starter is that it extended my "I'm making beer, leave me alone:)" time.

Back