Yeast Starter with Malta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
Today, due to lack of DME in the house, I made a yeast starter with Goya brand Malta.

I boiled ~3 7oz bottles with some spring water until my OG was around 1.040. (Only made a 1L starter due to the 2.5ga batch)

Does anyone see any problems with this? I read on here it was done once, but I mean, it's got me kinda nervous lol. I mean, making a starter with a malt soda? Seems good in essence but it's just odd.

Any input?

Just read the wiki article on what Malta even was (never heard of it before now) and seems legit to me! Your OG was 1.040? That's good, sounds like a good substitute when in dire need for starter material! :rockin:

This reminds me, I have been meaning to ferment a small batch of Malta to see how it turns out. The stuff is really popular down here with all of the Cubans, so it's pretty easy for me to find. I still haven't ever tried it.

jbrookeiv said:
This reminds me, I have been meaning to ferment a small batch of Malta to see how it turns out. The stuff is really popular down here with all of the Cubans, so it's pretty easy for me to find. I still haven't ever tried it.

Not worth drinking IMHO. It really does taste like unhopped wort. And while there's nothing wrong with that taste, do you really want a full glass? But as a starter or experimental batch, nice!

cimirie said:
Not worth drinking IMHO. It really does taste like unhopped wort. And while there's nothing wrong with that taste, do you really want a full glass? But as a starter or experimental batch, nice!

True. I'd probably only buy it with the intention of fermenting it. We shall see...

Not worth drinking IMHO. It really does taste like unhopped wort.

There are actually hops in it. It's barley, caramel malt, some other malt ive never heard of, and hops. And some fructose... That's it tho.

Truthfully, the taste, while it definitely tastes like unfermented sweet wort, isn't atrocious. I may be able to develop a taste for it. lol.

But as for the yeast starter, I'll let everyone know if I have any issues.

I've made several starters with it because in my area it's actually cheaper than DME. In addition, it's also way easier because you don't have to boil it or anything (I don't).

My procedure is to add a bottle to a growler and shake it up to release the CO2, then add some water. I don't remember my measurements because it's been a while since I used it.

I've made several starters with it because in my area it's actually cheaper than DME. In addition, it's also way easier because you don't have to boil it or anything (I don't).

My procedure is to add a bottle to a growler and shake it up to release the CO2, then add some water. I don't remember my measurements because it's been a while since I used it.

Damn. That seems rather careless. lol. But hey, if it works for you, I may have to try the 'lazy' approach.

I didn't get specific measurements because the way I chose to go about getting 1.040 was just weird. I'll leave it at that.

Damn. That seems rather careless. lol. But hey, if it works for you, I may have to try the 'lazy' approach.

I didn't get specific measurements because the way I chose to go about getting 1.040 was just weird. I'll leave it at that.

Why would you need to boil it? It's sugar water that has been a bottle for who knows how long and it isn't infected, so why would it be a problem to use it as is?

Lot's of folks use malta to make starters, there's tons of threads on here and on the rest of the webbies...I posted some crap about it even a week ago....some boil, some don't, some degass the light carbonation from it, some use as is. Bottom line is that for those who use it, it seems to work great for them.

Several years back I first heard about it, and thought it was whooey, and as posted here when I first came upon the info it blew me away with how many folks swear by it. And how many different ways they handle it...

Yeah, I supposed I have A LOT to learn. I read almost all of my days off. Haha. My woman is going to hate this. :)

i grew up drinking malta in miami, love it but don't drink it anymore because i don't drink sugary drinks.

I bought a six pack of it and used 5 bottles as starters and I drank one.
I have only used them for darker beers, browns, Milds, porter, stout and it worked great.
I just sanitized the cap and lip of the bottle and sanitized my erlenmeyer flask, poured the malta into the flask and added the yeast. I have never added water, no idea what the gravity is. The volume of liquid was a bit low. (12 oz.)

In short. Try it. It worked great for me for 5 brews and I will buy again. I think boiling wort for starter is PIA and more expensive.

Latest posts

Back