Yeast Starter with Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimbal

Reaction score
Hello, I put a yeast starter on yesterday (as I usually do) with a Wyeast 1056 smack pack. This morning there is some pretty significant Krausen which I don't typically see. Anyone have any thoughts? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree with the above 2 posts. I can think of only 1 starter I made where I had minimal krausen, and I relate this to using old yeast. What you have is a sign of healthy yeast. :)

Fair enough! This one went crazy, real fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Even using the same yeast strain in different starters I find that some will show krausen and others will not (using stirplate) with yeast of any age. I don't let that worry me at all. I usually cold crash and can see the layer of yeast to judge the growth.

I often make stepped starters from 5ml of frozen yeast. It seems that I rarely get a krausen on the first step, sometimes two but the third will usually foam like crazy???

I have found that when I pitch yeast that has been havested more than a year prior, there is often a longer lag period ( 48 hours or so) before I see krausen. I then re-feed and get a healthier krausen almost immediately. That's why I have taken to spinning my starter the Monday before planned weekend brew weekend.

So I made 2 starters last night for a split batch I plan on brewing tomorrow night. US-05 has good Kraussen so it looks good. Other starter Abbaye has none. Packet dated use by 5/2016.
Both yeasts were bought at same time and stored in fridge, and otherwise treated the same.

Should I be concerned?

So I made 2 starters last night for a split batch I plan on brewing tomorrow night. US-05 has good Kraussen so it looks good. Other starter Abbaye has none. Packet dated use by 5/2016.
Both yeasts were bought at same time and stored in fridge, and otherwise treated the same.

Should I be concerned?

Not necessarily. I've had starters show absolutely no signs of activity, and those that have bubbled over. The only thing you can do to know for sure is to check the gravity.

Well, once everything settled out in the starters the number of yeast cells in the Abbaye were much greater than the US-05 so both were pitched Saturday night.

Then, yesterday I had to replace the airlock on the Abbaye yeast with a blow off tube! These Belgian yeasts are crazy fermenters, which I didn't see w/ the starter.

[edit: spelling]

So question. If I have Krausen present. Can/should I swirl the starter? I currently do not have a stir plate. Hope to hear something soon as I have starter going now for a brew day tomorrow.

So question. If I have Krausen present. Can/should I swirl the starter? I currently do not have a stir plate. Hope to hear something soon as I have starter going now for a brew day tomorrow.

Keep shaking and swirling. The more oxygen you put in, the faster your starter will finish.

Yes, higher growth rate, which which means it will finish faster. The yield will be about the same if you give it enough time.

Back