Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shattstar03

Reaction score
I made my first yeast starter this afternoon and I was planning to brew tomorrow morning but my boss at work called saying I need to work all day, so I have to push back my brew til Weds morning.

I was planning to pitch at high krausen but its probably going to settle down before Weds afternoon.. So what should I do? Let it ferment out and fridge it overnight, then decant Weds morning? (would that shock the yeast?) or just keep it at room temp until brew day?

Info: I'm brewing a Belgian Saison, my estimated OG is 1.084, I'm using a 2L flask but I'm 100ML past the 2000 mark, I didn't realize that dumping two vials of white labs yeast would raise the level that high lol

With a 2l starter I would cold crash it and decant. But that's just me. Pull it out of the fridge the morning of brew day, decant and let it warm up to your fermentation temp, then pitch it when your ready to.

With a 2l starter I would cold crash it and decant. But that's just me. Pull it out of the fridge the morning of brew day, decant and let it warm up to your fermentation temp, then pitch it.

So if the wort had a 24-36 hour fermentation time, I wouldn't shock the yeast by fridging it overnight?

Are you using a stir plate our just swirling? If you used a stir plate I say chill and decant brew day. If swirling keep it going and pitch the whole thing.

Ok, I have another question, I see that my yeast starter is overflowing is this going to drastically reduce my yeast count? If so, should I add more wort or buy another vial of yeast?

Latest posts

Back