Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonestar

Reaction score
Made a yeast starter and pitched my yeast into it at 66 degrees. The temp climbed to 72 so I put it in the fridge. I forgot about it over night and the temp dropped to 40 again... Will my yeast be OK or will the cold crash kill it?

The cold crash will just make them go to sleep. Your yeast is ok. Why do you cold crash if your using a starter? I let mine go until i need it a day or two later.

The yeast is fine. Yeast just goes dormant and drops out of suspension when chilled. This is a common practice if you want to decant the starter before pitching.

OK cool... I normally don't cold crash the starter. I only put it in the fridge to keep the temp from climbing too high since it had gotten to 72. Seemed a bit warm to me. Normally I just make the starter, cool it, pitch yeast and use it the next day.

Thanks for the replies.

Bonestar said:
OK cool... I normally don't cold crash the starter. I only put it in the fridge to keep the temp from climbing too high since it had gotten to 72. Seemed a bit warm to me. Normally I just make the starter, cool it, pitch yeast and use it the next day.

Thanks for the replies.

For a starter, you can let temp rise up to 78F or so without I'll effect. I almost always decant the beer off my starter yeast prior to pitching... unless my starter is 1L or less.

Back