Yeast Starter - pitching the whole thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbeck2

Reaction score
I just recently began using starters and today I pitched my whole starter into my wort instead of decanting the starter beer first. I'm concerned that the starter beer is going to negatively affect the flavor of the beer I made which is a spiced amber holiday ale. I used a 1600 ml starter made with 6 oz of extra light DME and used White Labs East Coast Ale yeast. The starter temp was about 75 degrees for about 32 hours and i just used the periodic swirl / shake method. The batch size was 5.5 gallons?

Any thoughts on whether or not pitching the entire starter will affect the flavor of my beer?

One other question - I plan to use a starter for just about all beers except for wheat ales. I've read that starters aren't necessary for all beers, but my thought is that regardless of the OG, the more yeast and the healthier the fermentation is, the better the beer will be. Is there any time that making a starter would negatively affect my beer?

Thanks in advance!

You're good bromuchacho! Starters are great you will find people on here that hate them. I personally use a starter for most all of my beers ...except wheat. Lemme know how it tastes

The starter temp was about 75 degrees for about 32 hours

I think you're fine. If that had been lager yeast grown at 75 and the whole thing pitched into a 5 gal beer you would have tasted it. But you had 1.6L of bland ale going into 5.5gal of spiced ale. Just typing this reassures me that you're fine.

Is there any time that making a starter would negatively affect my beer?
Don't make a starter for a 2.5 gal batch of ale with a SG of 1.045 or below. Consult http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Back