Yeast Starter overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
Soooo... came home to this... seems I lost a lot of yeast. My brew day was tomorrow. What would you do? set this in the fridge now and decant slightly and pitch as usual or f the brew day and make a new starter for next week? :( First time using WLP001... brutal.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415397490.514764.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415397456.316845.jpg

Still looks like a good and viable starter to me with some good krausen going....proceed as planned, I'd say!!

Still looks like a good and viable starter to me with some good krausen going....proceed as planned, I'd say!!

+1

Leave it be and clean up the spilt wort/krausen on the plate. It's still fermenting so if you were to crash it now you would be cutting your starter short.

cleaning it up right now and that stuff is so thick it feels like all my yeast came out...

You didn't lose as much as you think, that should still be a good starter. RDWHAHB :mug:

I highly reccomend getting some fermcap for your next starter, prevents this from happening and it's cheap cheap cheap

Thanks guys! This one calls for a blowoff... never seen a yeast so active so far! I've used it's dry sibling S-05, didnt seem to have this much krausen in the fermentor.

I had that happen over the summer with a Weissbier starter. It still came out great. You should be fine. You might want to take apart the stir plate though and give it a clean. I didnt do this and the next time I got it out, it had a "notable" aroma

Thanks for the tip! Already done! :) And thanks for the assurance!

Merely a flesh wound.... No major harm done.
Brew away and pitch it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I want to report back, due to all the supportive comments to use this anyways!

First time WLP001 user, holy SHHHH****T this stuff is active. Most vigorous fermentation I've ever had. Crazy C02 production too. Never seen so many visible bubbles being produced.

Thanks again! :) Hoping to bottle/keg this IPA in two weeks!

Back