Yeast starter from harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently harvested some WLP300 from a batch of beer. I made a starter, using 1 liter water and 1/2 cup DME.

Questions:

1. I used a stir plate. Am I supposed to leave the starter on the stir plate during the entire starter fermentation process (18-24 hours).
2. This is the first time I have made a starter (with washed yeast or packaged). I did not see the fermentation activity I expected I would. When I shook the carafe, the air lock bubbled. Otherwise, no visible indication of fermentation. is that normal?
3. I was not able to brew when I expected. The starter has been sitting for 3 full days now at about 69 degrees. I just removed it from the stir plate this AM. Is it still usable? Assuming it ever was...

Thanks in advance...

1) yes, 2) yes, 3) yes
Relax don't worry, have a home brew. If you're going to use this starter this weekend, the leave it. If it's later, put it in the fridge.

I would not use an airlock for a starter. Just put some sanitized foil over it or something. You need oxygen to be able to get in for the yeast to survive and multiply.

Latest posts

Back