Yeast starter for dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhog58

Reaction score
I just started brewing in the new year and am slowly learning. My question for those more experienced brewers is, with a dry yeast pack (Danstar's Nottingham), is it necessary to make a starter? Will it ruin or enhance the effectiveness of the yeast?

A yeast starter is not recommended for dry yeasts. Follow the rehydration instructions on the packet.

With Nottingham I don't even rehydrate. I just pitch it dry and stir the crap out of it. I had an IPA with an OG of 1.081 finish at 1.019 in 1 week with Nottingham pitched dry.

A starter is definitely not a good idea for dry yeasts. There are far too many yeast cells for the amount of sugars so you don't end up with a healthy yeast population. Rehydrating however is definitely a good idea. You will get a much healthier yeast population if the cells reconstitute in water rather than wort.

Latest posts

Back