Yeast Starter Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
I made a starter last night using 1/2cup DME and 2 cups of water boiled for 10 minutes. I cooled it to 75 degrees and pitched a tube of White Labs California Ale. I shook the thing violently for a minute, attached an airlock, and put it in a box down in the basement. After about 4 hours I was getting some nice bubbling in the airlock.

Today I checked it and it's still bubbling a bit but no krausen has formed and it looks as though all the yeast has settled to the bottom in a thin white layer. Should I shake it up again?

Also, when I'm ready to pitch this yeast, should I shake all the contents up again to get the yeast into suspension?

I've never noticed any significant krausen in my starters (of course I'm using a brown bottle). As long as it is bubbling, it's doing it's job. My IPA was brewed yesterday with a starter and it's going to town today.

Me too. Not much krausen but a nice bubbling. Swirl for a bit more than a minute next time. More oxygen, the better.

1 vile of WL in a 2 cup starter wort will not make krausen. You may not notice any foaming until about a 2 L starter in some cases.

Latest posts

Back