Yeast smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormynd

Reaction score
I have a batch of hard lemonade in a primary. After 4 days it appears to have stopped fermenting and smells yeasty. It also tastes a bit like lemon water. My hydrometer is broken so I am not able to check SG until I get another one later today. I am wondering if it is done and if so is there something I can do to get rid if the yeast smell? Should I throw in some more nutrient to get the yeast moving again? Is there anything I can do to make it taste more like lemonade that won't ruin it?

Thanks!

Give it time. Fermentation may be done but the yeast will spend some time cleaning up which includes that smell. It's too soon. Just leave it be and let it work. What was your OG? What's the batch size? What yeast?

I have a 2 gallon batch and am using Red Star champagne yeast. I was a boob and forgot to take a SG reading before I pitched the yeast so I don't have an OG reading to go off. Thanks so much for your help!

Should I be thinking about transferring to a secondary or just leave it in the primary and bottle it out of there?

Leave it in the primary. No need to secondary it. I also concur with the posters above. Even though the bulk of the fermentation may have finished, it can still take 7-10 more days for the yeast to finish cleaning up after themselves from the fermentation process. Give it some time.

Back