Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growlrr

Reaction score
Now that this hobby is apparently going to take over my life :) ...I think I may have used the wrong yeast - I started a one gallon batch of a pear melomel as follows; 1.5# D'Anjou pears (frozen fresh and pulped), 3# clover honey, one camp tab, .75 tsp pectic enzyme, 1 tsp yeast nutrient (1/2 at pitch and 1/2 48 hours later) and one packet of Red Star Premier Blanc yeast. Filtered water to hit one gallon. Temperature has been between 68-70 degrees consistently and SG was 1.086 at pitch. Fermentation was steady but nothing crazy. I took another reading 6 days later and had a SG of 0.992. Is this normal in 6 days?? I racked it to a carboy, added another 1.5# of pears and took a taste (why not?). I've either already completed a pear scented rocket fuel or may be on my way to discovering pear champagne....It's been quietly fermenting in the secondary for four days...Seeing as I'm in my 50's, will I live long enough before this will be drinkable? I'm thinking it'll be close (unless is start running or going to the gym or something)...I have plans to try a few other melomels and meads and I'm thinking maybe I should try another yeast...D-47? 71B-1122? Cote de Blanc? I'm pretty lost....LOL

The SG may have been at 1.086 when you pitched but that was only because the honey had not been fully mixed. Three pounds of honey to make 1 gallon would have given you a starting gravity closer to 1.105 or close to 14% ABV. Most yeasts will have no problem fully fermenting this in much the same way that your yeast. My preference is for 71B but if your mead is at 14 % then this is going to be quite hot a week after pitching the yeast. Patience is the secret ingredient of a high ABV mead.

The SG may have been at 1.086 when you pitched but that was only because the honey had not been fully mixed. Three pounds of honey to make 1 gallon would have given you a starting gravity closer to 1.105 or close to 14% ABV. Most yeasts will have no problem fully fermenting this in much the same way that your yeast. My preference is for 71B but if your mead is at 14 % then this is going to be quite hot a week after pitching the yeast. Patience is the secret ingredient of a high ABV mead.

Patience is right! I started a 5 pound to 1 gallon batch and its so damn slow I ended up buying another couple carboys so I could let the heavy one sit for a few months

Back