Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preliator

Reaction score
I was hoping i could ask a question about yeast.... I just completed a nice Cinnamon cyser that finished rather sweet..sweeter then my tastes but good for the wife.
I am now looking at a simple pyment and had a yeast question. I used lavlin 1118 which the guy at the lhbs shop recommended as being best....a generic yeast for white wines is how he actually described it. well on this one i am not doing a white/ clear mead but a grape pyment. and in looking for a dryer finish that can be backsweetned to taste. I have plenty of red star yeast including pasture red, montrachet, and premier cuvee.
looking for some feedback on these yeasts for the recipe below...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe's Grape Mead / Pyment -- J.M.
Makes
1 gal

2 lbs Clover honey
1 oz buckwheat honey
24 sunmaid rasins
64-oz Kashem Grape Juice with Vitamin C added- Make sure it has no preservatives in ingredients other than Vitamin C added (Absorbic Acid)
Balance water if you need it to make 1 gallon after adding honey mixed in water (don't use too much water in honey mix or you'll end up with more than you bargained for.
Lalvin EC-1118

thanks
anthony

If EC-1118 is finishing too sweet for you, you're doing something wrong or using way too much honey to water... it's a champagne yeast, it should pop up to 18% alcohol with abandon.

no the 1118 did it s job what i failed to mention was that i stopped it a bit short and the backsweetened with honey...so basically i made it to sweet i guess. i also femrented this batch using no yeast nutes.....i blame them for the last batch of viking thunder i made tasting off and gave this a shot...everyone seemed to enjoy it. light and crisp with a sweetness on the back end thats similar to a dessert wine.

decided to go with pasture red and see where it goes. I also opted not for grape but for blackberry/cranberry.....which is also what promoted the pasture red usage. putting it together tonight.

thanks for the help

no yeast nutrient, especially energizer, can give you poor attenuation.

1118 should hit 18% and finish almost dry, depending on the initial gravity.

Back