Yeast Oxygen Scavenging with Wine or Brewer's Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im322305

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any experience or could lend some insight into using dry wine or dry brewer's yeast for oxygen scavenging my brewing water. I've been using this method with baker's yeast with awesome results. Unfortunately toilet paper isn't the only thing that people are hoarding during these trying times. I haven't been able to find baker's yeast anywhere! I don't feel like boiling my brewing liquor for LODO purposes so I was wondering if dry wine yeast or dried brewer's yeast could be substituted for baker's yeast. My preference is for using dried wine yeast because it's only $1 for 5 gm. I guess my question is how fast oxygen uptake would be for wine yeast? Would it be similar to the uptake of baker's yeast of less than an hour?

Fascinating question, especially at this time. I'm unaware of anyone having tested this, whereas we have rigorous testing of YOS with bread yeast, but I have seen others raising this question. I dose my yeast and dextrose for YOS the night before brewday, and since we know that the DO will hold at 0, once it gets there, literally for days, I would suggest that this might be the prudent approach. The questions that first occur to me are, is wine yeast as active as bread yeast immediately upon rehydration? Will it also reduce DO to 0 in just 30 minutes? What is the ideal dosage and temperature for yeasts other than active dry bread yeast? I'm just ignorant on this. But once it gets going, I don't see why any yeast shouldn't get to the same result. So I'd err on the side of caution, dose as much as you can, as near 100°F as you can, and give it time. Hope these rambling thoughts help.

I dose my yeast and dextrose for YOS the night before brewday, and since we know that the DO will hold at 0, once it gets there, literally for days, I would suggest that this might be the prudent approach.

Now this has be intrigued. I assumed that once the dextrose was consumed and yeast metabolism slowed/ceased then oxygen uptake by the liquid would resume. For this reason I have only been dosing 1-2 hours before brewing, again assuming that much longer times would deplete the dextrose. However, I would much rather prep the water the night before. So this works? What temperature do you keep it at?

http://www.********************/brewing-methods/deoxygenation-revisited/

Thanks. Unless I am mistaken, however, this appears to be a completely sealed system (?). Under the conditions used it is unclear to me how that might influence O2 re-uptake, though it doesn't seem that little sugar would be anywhere near enough for the yeast to produce sufficient CO2 to purge the headspace. Interesting.

Thanks. Unless I am mistaken, however, this appears to be a completely sealed system (?). Under the conditions used it is unclear to me how that might influence O2 re-uptake, though it doesn't seem that little sugar would be anywhere near enough for the yeast to produce sufficient CO2 to purge the headspace. Interesting.
If you read carefully, he set it up for testing purposes unsealed to simulate a completely open vessel, no floating cap or even lid, and it still held 0 DO for 4 days at room temperature. So those of us who cap our vessel after dosing sugar and yeast, are really well protected.

If you read carefully, he set it up for testing purposes unsealed to simulate a completely open vessel, no floating cap or even lid, and it still held 0 DO for 4 days at room temperature. So those of us who cap our vessel after dosing sugar and yeast, are really well protected.

Couldn't find that particular detail, but I admit to only scanning the pages, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the help - brew day just got shorter.

Couldn't find that particular detail, but I admit to only scanning the pages, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the help - brew day just got shorter.

It may be there, or in another blog post; it has been discussed at length on the LOB forum and elsewhere. Bryan's purpose in these experiments was to create a scenario where YOS was the only active protection, to really test its effectiveness, and it has proven to be very robust. So rest assured. This has been a game changer for me too: knocking a couple of hours off the front end can make the difference between being able to brew at all, or not.

Fascinating question, especially at this time. I'm unaware of anyone having tested this, whereas we have rigorous testing of YOS with bread yeast, but I have seen others raising this question. I dose my yeast and dextrose for YOS the night before brewday, and since we know that the DO will hold at 0, once it gets there, literally for days, I would suggest that this might be the prudent approach. The questions that first occur to me are, is wine yeast as active as bread yeast immediately upon rehydration? Will it also reduce DO to 0 in just 30 minutes? What is the ideal dosage and temperature for yeasts other than active dry bread yeast? I'm just ignorant on this. But once it gets going, I don't see why any yeast shouldn't get to the same result. So I'd err on the side of caution, dose as much as you can, as near 100°F as you can, and give it time. Hope these rambling thoughts help.
Robert - I'm such a newbie - What are YOS and DO? Also, what does anyone think about using brewers yeast to get fruit wine started fermenting? We happen to have brewers yeast.

I've used harvested yeast for YOS, it works just fine. A tablespoon or two, let it sit overnight with the sugar in the kettle. Normally I just use bread yeast though.

Back