yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Ok, one more quick question. I got yeast nutrient to add to the batch, but I'm not sure when to add it. During boil, before I chill the wort, just before I add the yeast? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The AHS yeast nutrient capsules are supposed to be added to the boil for the last 15 minutes. Yours is probably similar.

This is fermax yeast nutrient by crosby and baker. No capsules. It's just loose in the bottle. Directions say to add 1 tsp. Per gallon, but doesn't tell me when to add it.

This is fermax yeast nutrient by crosby and baker. No capsules. It's just loose in the bottle. Directions say to add 1 tsp. Per gallon, but doesn't tell me when to add it.

Unless somebody known something specific that contradicts this, I'd say to use the 15 minute mark - that's two different vendors with the same time. I've seen this from others, too... I expect the chemical makeup can't be too different.

My LHBS sells that product. They tell me to add it to the fermenter not the boil, but I don't see it being sterilized if it isn't boiled. Maybe check the manufacturers website.

1 tsp per gallon seems like a lot. With the Wyeast it's 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons

If I remember correct the 1 tsp per gal is for wine.. I use 1 tsp of fermax per 5 gal of beer, and I put it in at the 10 to 15 min mark of the boil... I also use Wyeast nutrient the same way.

K. Good enough. I went on the web and checked. Directions also say 1 tsp per gallon, but did not say for wine or beer. I'm gonna meet this one in the middle and do two at ten min left and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help guys.

K. Good enough. I went on the web and checked. Directions also say 1 tsp per gallon, but did not say for wine or beer. I'm gonna meet this one in the middle and do two at ten min left and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help guys.

Just read my package of fermax and it says 1 tsp per gallon of wine and 1/2 tsp per 5 gal of beer. It doesn't say anything about when or how to use it, though...

Well, I did go with two teaspoons with ten minutes left. I don't believe this will hurt anything as far as flavor, correct? I did decide to go with the blowoff tube as a precautionary measure. Don't need to to come home to a mess because I put the yeast into hyper drive with this stuff.

Well, I did go with two teaspoons with ten minutes left. I don't believe this will hurt anything as far as flavor, correct? I did decide to go with the blowoff tube as a precautionary measure. Don't need to to come home to a mess because I put the yeast into hyper drive with this stuff.

My gut tells me that 2 tsp will be fine, but I really have no idea if that amount would affect the flavor. I'm not sure if using more will change anything other than just using it up faster. That's just an assumption on part, so don't quote me on it...

For those who use it, does it result in a noticeable difference in fermentation?

I want to make my yeasties happy, but I don't want to spoil them with needless luxury.

For those who use it, does it result in a noticeable difference in fermentation?

I want to make my yeasties happy, but I don't want to spoil them with needless luxury.

I've wondered the same thing.. When I started using it I also started using pure oxygen and started controlling fermentation temps better.. I started to get great attenuation, but I'm not sure what exactly was contributing the most. I'm thinking it was the pure oxygen, but I imagine all of those things helped as a combined effort...

Soon the proletariat yeast shall rise up and take over the bourgeoisie yeast. The revolution is coming! :off:

Sorry about being off topic, but back on topic.

I usually use 1 1/2 tsp and never noticed any off flavors.

It's starts off with some tasty nutrients, and pretty soon they want 2 months paid time off and an opt-out clause in their contract once they get to 1.020.

I've wondered the same thing.. When I started using it I also started using pure oxygen and started controlling fermentation temps better.. I started to get great attenuation, but I'm not sure what exactly was contributing the most. I'm thinking it was the pure oxygen, but I imagine all of those things helped as a combined effort...

I'll probably try more of these methods down the road and see if it makes a difference.

Ok, I'm thinking its ok. I'm just going to get a little more movement then. Cool. Gonna leave the blowoff tube on for three days or so.

Back