Yeast Nutrient Variants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaBear

Reaction score
So my Homebrew Supply store is over an hour away, and I’m out of yeast nutrients.

I’m hoping to find something available at the local grocery story.

I have one friend that always uses bread yeast he microwaves to kill it before adding live yeast as his nutrients. (Equal parts dead yeast to live yeast) Maybe “Brewers Yeast” or nutritional yeast flakes from the health food/vegan section could do this without needing to microwave it?

Another thread I saw someone recommend tomato paste. But I’d imagine there is some flavor profile to that.

Another thread I found someone said they crush up vitamins. But didn’t say what vitamins or what quantities.

What are options/variants you know and have used in the past for yeast nutrient when you didn’t have any?

Chopped raisins? Or pitch the yeast w/o nutrients, and add nutrients in a few days when you get some. (degas the wine before you add them or dissolve in some water first, otherwise you might have a geyser)

Honestly unless you're working with a heavily adjuncted wort, I wouldn't bother with nutrients at all. All-malt wort has plenty already there.

There's science that adding nutrients in excess (very easy to do) can decrease shelf stability (excess FAN leading to unwanted Strecker degredation).

Would a cup of flour dissolved in five gallons provide nutrients for yeast, or just a pastey mess?

As a first approximation I’d go for cannibalism- just take some old brewing yeast or rehydrated bread yeast and add it at flameout.

At least that way you know you’re getting nutrients in the right proportion for yeast.

As a first approximation I’d go for cannibalism- just take some old brewing yeast or rehydrated bread yeast and add it at flameout.

At least that way you know you’re getting nutrients in the right proportion for yeast.

This appears to be for a wine, thus no flameout.

I vote for adding nothing. But, of the choices I would use the nuked bread yeast or wait until you can buy some nutrient. As long as it isn't after fermentation is mostly complete.

Gah, I’d seen the wine thing and still said flameout. Anyway - point is to kill it, whether by boiling with heat or microwave.

Back